Full/Associate Professor of Cell Biology
Department Name Biological and Environmental Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University (QS ranking#332) is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of Undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences.
The College also houses many Graduate MSc and PhD programs.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 0.5 million $ /project and 5 million US$ for exceptional projects along with student research funding programs.
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Qatar University offers two undergraduate programs: B.Sc. in Biological science and B.Sc. in Environmental Science in addition to two Graduate programs. The graduate programs offered by the department are the Master of Science in Environmental Science and the Doctor of Philosophy in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, invites applications for a full-time position at the level of Professor or Associate Professor to begin September 2019. The applicant must be able to teach Undergraduate and Graduate courses Cell Biology and Physiology, General Biology.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Cell Biology /Physiology and applications in the study in organ systems physiology. Molecular and cellular aspects are given highest attention. The body’s integrative responses to physiological stressors/mechanisms should be mastered.
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Teach advanced courses for Graduate and Undergraduate students in Cell Biology, Cell Physiology and General Biology.
- Employ up-to-date methods applied in Cell Biology Cell Physiology / Cell Culture.
- Supervise graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise
- Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level
- Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at well-established top ranked universities and higher education institutions in Life Sciences. Minimum of 5 years experience.
- Demonstrated competence in research and holding a High H-index
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Research strength in area of specialization with strong experience in using microscopy, biochemical and structural approaches is preferable
- PhD from well-established university
- Teaching experience of at least five years
- Publication track record with High H-index and clear research agenda
- Excellent English communication Skills
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisement 16-Mar-2019