Head of Department in Mathematics
- Full Time
FACULTY OF SCIENCE
Department of Mathematics
The Department invites applications for the position at Professor/Chair Professor level. Reporting to the Dean of Faculty of Science, the Head is a senior academic staff who is responsible for:
- building on departmental strengths
- recruiting outstanding faculty
- promoting scholarly initiatives and grant funding efforts
- being an advocate to both internal University and external constituencies
- providing leadership and vision
- envisioning and steering the direction of Department’s long-term development
in alignment with the University’s strategic plan in terms of the development of its teaching, research and faculty profiles, as well as various resources and opportunities for faculty, staff, and students.
Applicants should have:
- a PhD degree in Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a related field, and abilities to conduct high-quality research in one of the areas: data sciences, mathematical modelling, optimisation, scientific computing and statistics;
- outstanding research achievements with a track record of innovative research and high-impact publications, and capability to bid for and pursue externally-funded research programmes;
- strong commitment to excellence in teaching;
- record of international network of partnerships and connections with professionals;
- evidence of administrative experience in a higher education setting; and
- effective interpersonal communication and resources management skills.
Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract of three years. Re-appointment thereafter is subject to mutual agreement and availability of funding. Outstanding candidates may be considered for appointment with tenure.
More information about Department can be found at http://www.math.hkbu.edu.hk.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are invited to submit their applications at the HKBU e-Recruitment System (jobs.hkbu.edu.hk) with samples of publications, preferably three best ones out of their most recent publications/works. Applicants should also request two referees to send in confidential letters of reference, with PR number (stated above) quoted on the letters, to the Personnel Office (Email: email@example.com) direct. Those who are not invited for interview four months after the closing date may consider their applications unsuccessful. All application materials including publication samples, scholarly/creative works will be disposed of after completion of the recruitment exercise. Details of the University’s Personal Information Collection Statement can be found at http://pers.hkbu.edu.hk/pics.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment for the post advertised, and the appointment will be made according to the terms and conditions applicable at the time of offer.
Review of applications will begin in May 2019 and will continue until the position is filled