Lecturer/Associate Professor in Mechatronics & Robotics
Senior Associate Professor /Associate Professor /Assistant Professor /Lecturer in Mechatronics & Robotics (2245)
DEPARTMENT: Department of Mechatronics and Robotics, School of Advanced Technology
POSITION TITLE: Senior Associate Professor /Associate Professor /Assistant Professor /Lecturer in Mechatronics & Robotics
LOCATION: Suzhou, China
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1st November, 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: March 1st 2022
JOB ID: 2245
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of Advanced Technology has five departments (intelligent Science, Computing, Mechatronics and Robotics, Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Communications and networking). As a research and practice-led school our faculty and staff are committed to providing our students with a challenging and stimulating environment, as well as unlocking their full potential. Upon graduation, students will become highly-sought-after candidates with strong academic knowledge as well as extensive transferable skills in communication, team-work and project management.
All academic staff members at the Department of Mechatronics and Robotics (MEC) are research active and have closely engaged with industry in and around Suzhou to support the research and development of Suzhou’s strategic aim of intelligent manufacturing. Suzhou is one of the top three cities in China and one of the top ten cities in the world in intelligent manufacturing, which provides huge opportunities for research and development, self-development, and employment. With rapidly increased student number, we are seeking applicants with a strong research track record, high level of ambitions, and enthusiasm to engage with our diverse students to join our team.
Areas of expertise in Department of Mechatronics and Robotics: Networked Mechatronic Systems; Robotics and Control; MEMS and Bio-MEMS; and Product Design and Optimisation.
Informal enquiries about the positions and the Department may be addressed to Head of the Department, Prof.Xinheng Wang at Xinheng.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn
Responsibilities and Duties
Applicants will have extensive teaching experience, have published high quality papers in their area of expertise, have been successful in obtaining research grants, and have substantial experience in the supervision of research students. The successful candidate, in addition to teaching typically two modules/courses per year (i.e. one per semester), will provide leadership in curriculum development and enhancing our research profile at the international level. They are expected to assume administrative responsibilities based on their experience.
- Self-motivated and being able to motivate others;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Strong team player;
- Proactive and flexible but with good respect for deadlines;
- Able to work in an environment where diversity and inclusiveness is appreciated.
- A PhD in mechanical engineering, automation, control, robotics, artificial intelligence or a closely aligned area and PG Cert HE or equivalent;
- Ideally few years of teaching/research experience at a university or equivalent after completion of PhD degree;
- PhD supervision capacity;
- Strong publications record in an area of expertise;
- Evidence of success in obtaining research grants;
- Fluency in English.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Professional memberships such as BCS, IET, ACM, IEE, IEEE, and HEA;
- Strong knowledge / experience in international higher education.
Salary is in line with expectations for the discipline, the scales for salary are:
- Lecturer: 24,076 – 26,618 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 29,759 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
- Assistant Professor: 30,207 – 33,273 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 37,011 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
- Associate Professor: 37,573 – 40,526 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 44,413 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
- Senior Associate Professor: 45,087 – 47,778 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 51,292 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday”, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on our university website, the apply link is https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=2245&company=xjtlu Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For general enquiries, please email the Recruiting Team at Mingwei.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn . Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.