UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Science is committed to advancing scientific knowledge to help solve some of the world’s greatest problems. Whether we're addressing the impacts of climate change, examining the influences on human decision-making, or exploring the never-ending depths of space, our approach to research draws knowledge from both traditional and emerging fields. Our School delivers high quality education via postgraduate service courses in several Masters programs, undergraduate courses in the Science and Arts degree programs and undergraduate service courses in Engineering, Computing and Cybersecurity, and Technology programs.
As a Mathematics Lecturer in the School of Science, you will showcase your knowledge and experience in Applied Mathematics in the areas of teaching and research in the School. In particular, you will be responsible for delivering an online postgraduate statistics course for the new Masters of Workforce Planning program, teaching upper-level mathematics courses such as a third-year course covering analytical and numerical methods for solving differential equations, and addressing the growing demands for mathematics support teaching. You will also be involved in advancing the School of Science at UNSW Canberra’s international profile by conducting high quality scholarly research in Applied Mathematics, aligning with the School’s research priorities and contributing to the supervision of research students.
This is a great opportunity to join at a time of growth for the UNSW Campus, with the unique opportunity to educate the undergraduate students of the Australian Defence Force Academy.
About the Role:
Role: Lecturer Level B (Applied Mathematics)
Salary: $111, 563 - $131, 517 plus 17% Superannuation
Term: Fixed Term, 5 years
About the Successful Applicants
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- PhD in Applied Mathematics or an equivalent qualification in a related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake an internationally competitive research program in Applied Mathematics, with a particular focus on Combustion, Ecology and Defence applications.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively to the School’s research priority of Computational Science, in particular to the use of high-performance computing in research.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and teach introductory and specialist mathematics courses, including the use of appropriate software, in particular Matlab and SPSS.
- Ability to teach postgraduate statistics courses in an online environment.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to aspects of School and Faculty administration as required by the Head of School.
- Ability to communicate well in English, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of equity and diversity and Work & Health Safety procedures and practices.
In your application you should systematically address the Skills and Experience outlined in the Position Description.
In order to view the Position Description – please ensure that you allow pop-ups for Jobs@UNSW Portal.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake pre-employment checks prior to commencement in this role. The checks that will be undertaken are listed in the Position Description. You will not be required to provide any further documentation or information regarding the checks until directly requested by UNSW.
The position is located in Canberra, ACT. The successful candidate will be required to work from the UNSW Canberra campus. To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Applications Close: 7 November 2021 11:30PM
Find out more about working at UNSW Canberra
At UNSW Canberra, we celebrate diversity and understand the benefits that inclusion brings to the university. We aim to ensure that our culture, policies, and processes are truly inclusive. We are committed to developing and maintaining a workplace where everyone is valued and respected for who they are and supported in achieving their professional goals. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Women at all levels, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse People, People with Disability, LGBTIQ+ People, people with family and caring responsibilities and people at all stages of their careers. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares our commitment to inclusion to apply.
Any questions about the application process - please email email@example.com