Excellence in Diversity Fellowship, Indigenous, Indigenous Applicants Only
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Science
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Salary: Level A: $75,289 – $102,163 p.a. or Level B: $107,547 – $127,707 p.a. plus superannuation
Only Indigenous Australians are eligible to apply as this position is exempt under the Special Measure Provision, Section 12 (1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2011 (Vic).
About the role:
The Faculty of Science has developed the Excellence in Diversity Fellowship (Indigenous) to attract, support, and retain outstanding early career Indigenous Australian researchers with significant potential for research, community impact and contribution to workplace culture.
We are looking to bring people into the University who have, in the past been less empowered to enter our institution. These fellowships are designed to be inclusive, innovative and to recognise all types of knowledge and ways of doing. We seek to support and empower new ways of doing research and of recognising knowledge and knowledge holders.
As a fellow, you will conduct innovative research in one of the Faculty’s six schools. Project proposals may be on any topic that broadly aligns with “science” in its many forms and understandings. You will be encouraged to engage with other researchers and knowledge producers, internal and external, and contribute more broadly to the core activities of your host School and the Faculty.
You will be provided with an academic mentor and culturally appropriate support programs to aid the development of your independent research program, plus a research grant of $15,000 per annum.
You will be considered against performance relative to opportunity.
- Experience in an area of Indigenous knowledge that aligns broadly with western concepts of “Science” or completed a PhD in a traditional discipline of science with subsequent relevant experience
- Ability to work within and contribute to the performance and culture in one or more of the six schools in the Faculty of Science (Biosciences; Chemistry; Ecosystem and Forest Sciences; Geography, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences; Mathematics and Statistics; Physics)
- Potential to perform independent research/knowledge production
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to translate your work to others
- When the proposed research involves Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property (ICIP), you will have an understanding and/or experience in working respectfully with Indigenous communities, most especially in protecting and ensuring ICIP rights.
Additional criteria apply to those who wish to be considered for a Level B position. See the Position Description for details.
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
PLEASE NOTE: this opportunity will remain open until a successful candidate is selected, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.