Research Associate / PhD Student
At TU Dresden, Faculty of Physics, the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics offers two positions as
Research Associate / PhD Student
(subject to personal qualification employees are remunerated according to salary group E 13 TV-L)
starting on January 1, 2022. The positions entail 50% of the fulltime weekly hours in the first year and 67% in the following years. The positions are initially limited until June 30, 2024. They shall be extended to 3 years, subject to the availability of resources. The period of employment is governed by the Fixed Term Research Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz - WissZeitVG). The positions offer the chance to obtain further academic qualification (e.g. PhD).
The positions will be in the ATLAS research group led by Prof. Dr. Arno Straessner and Dr. Frank Siegert. The envisaged research programme is part of the German-wide BMBF research network ErUM-FSP ATLAS focusing on particle physics at highest energies with the ATLAS experiment at the LHC. The ATLAS Dresden group has a long-term experience in physics analysis of proton-proton collisions, Standard Model physics, particle searches, detector development for the ATLAS liquid-argon calorimeters, and application of machine learning and advanced statistical methods in data analysis.
- ATLAS physics analysis in one of the two areas: search for Higgs bosons beyond the Standard Model with tau leptons in the final state; Standard Model measurements of vector boson scattering and/or photon final states;
- participation in ATLAS operation and data taking with the ATLAS liquid-argon calorimeter or in the activities of the ATLAS physics modelling group or of the tau working group;
- regular visits to CERN, including a longer research period, will be possible.
- very good university degree (Master's or equivalent) with a specialization in the area of particle physics;
- research experience related to LHC measurements or equivalent expertise;
- high motivation to join an analysis in the ATLAS experiment and to participate in ATLAS operation.
Applications from women are particularly welcome. The same applies to people with disabilities.
Please submit your application documents including a Curriculum Vitae, a brief proposal describing your research experience and interests, and an official transcript of coursework and grades. Recommendation letters by 2 referees shall be provided to the same address until October 19, 2021 (stamped arrival date of the university central mail services applies) preferably via the TU Dresden SecureMail Portal https://securemail.tu-dresden.de by sending it as a single pdf document to email@example.com or by mail TU Dresden, Fakultät Physik, Institut für Kern- und Teilchenphysik, z. H. Frau Birgit Becker, Helmholtzstr. 10, 01069 Dresden. Please submit copies only, as your application will not be returned to you. Expenses incurred in attending interviews cannot be reimbursed.
Reference to data protection: Your data protection rights, the purpose for which your data will be processed, as well as further information about data protection is available to you on the website: https://tu-dresden.de/karriere/datenschutzhinweis.