Postdoctoral Research Associate in Synthetic Chemistry
- Full time 2 years fixed term employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Chemistry
- Opportunity to contribute to research focused on synthetic chemistry
- Base Salary Level A $95K - $105 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is one of Australia's main centres for chemical research and education. We have access to a comprehensive range of modern research and teaching facilities. The School attracts outstanding undergraduate students, including large numbers of talented students, from all over Australia. It has a large cohort of postgraduate research students and offers a vibrant and world class research environment.
The School is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Synthetic Chemistry with the primary responsibility of synthesis of fluorophores and responsive fluorescent sensors for application in biological studies. This project is funded by a grant from the Human Frontier for Science Program, and will involve collaboration with researchers from different disciplines across four countries.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake research in synthetic chemistry
- publication of research papers
- demonstrate research excellence
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- support teaching activities and the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is a leading Chemistry department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our more than 30 academic staff, 100 research staff, and 100 research students conduct research across the full spectrum of pure an applied chemistry. With the support of 30+ professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Chemistry administers and delivers undergraduate teaching for about 2500 students. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity, and we are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
Our research excellence is recognised by numerous prizes and awards to individual staff members and the award of over $7 million in research funding each year. Our staff are also recognised for their outstanding commitment to teaching excellence.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in organic Chemistry or a closely related discipline
- demonstrated ability to synthesise and purify organic molecules
- an ability to characterise the structures and physical properties of organic molecules
- proven ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision either independently or as a member of a team
- experience in student supervision at the undergraduate and graduate level
- experience in the use of research methodologies relevant to chemical synthesis and characterisation of new chemical compounds
- proficient in the use of: NMR, IR, MS and UV-vis and fluorescence spectroscopy
- published research as sole author or in collaboration
- experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, Sunday 17 October 2021
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Visa sponsorship is only available for this position for candidates who are currently located within Australia.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.