Genomics Technical Officer
- Full time, 12 month fixed term until August 2022
- Located within the School of Medical Science on the Camperdown/Darlington campus
- Base Salary $89,000, additionally, annual leave loading and 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We have an opportunity for a Genomics Technical Officer to join the newly established Ancestry & Health Genomics Laboratory at the Charles Perkins Centre. The University of Sydney's, School of Medical Sciences is working closely with lab affiliates at the Laboratory for Human Comparative and Prostate Cancer Genomics located at The Kinghorn Cancer Centre, as part of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- perform sequencing under limited guidance, including processing of samples, quality controls and data delivery.
- provides laboratory research support and assistance to researchers, students and other technical staff working in the laboratory.
- maintains the laboratory workplace ensuring that the research requirements of the work area are met effectively.
- ensures laboratory is compliant with Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
- prepares reporting and documentation, including ethics reporting for the work area.
- tertiary qualifications likely with Masters degree in Genomics/Genetics, Biology, Biochemistry, or related field with honors (Masters)
- experience in field based genetic research
- excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with sound negotiating and conflict
- has the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, taking initiative and exercising sound judgement in resolving matters that may arise as part of normal daily work
- demonstrated ability to organise and prioritise work, sometimes under pressure, with competing priorities and sometimes limited supervision
- intermediate to advance computer skills, including storing research data appropriately in databases and/or statistical analysis programs, and extracting relevant reporting and/or analysis
- working understanding and current knowledge of relevant aspects of the Work Health and Safety Policy and relevant legislation (including Safe Laboratory Practices for roles based in Laboratory).
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, 28 September 2021
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident. Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Kristina Pavlovic, Recruitment Partner, Recruitment Operations, by email .
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.