Assistant/Associate Professor in Media and Communication Studies
DEPARTMENT: Media and Communication
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Media and Communication Studies
POSITION TITLE: Assistant/Associate Professor in Media and Communication Studies
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 36,127–38,967 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 42,705 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 13 Sept., 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15 Nov., 2021
JOB ID: 1881
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Media and Communication is part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Department is home to faculty from many countries around the world. It delivers a BA Media and Communication Studies and an MSc Media and Communication. Faculty are encouraged to recruit and supervise PhD students. The research strengths of the Department include Journalism, Film Studies, Digital Media, and Cultural Studies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Publish high-quality research on media and communication.
- Coordinate and deliver courses in the department’s existing programmes.
- Supervise the research projects of under- and postgraduate students.
- Advise under- and postgraduate students.
- Provide service to the Department, School and University, and the wider scholarly community.
The department seeks applicants with active research profiles in media and communication studies. Successful appointees are expected to contribute to the department’s existing research and teaching strengths. Applicants with relevant professional and practical experiences such as in the media and advertising industries are also encouraged to apply.
- A PhD in Media and Communication Studies or related field.
- Evidence of high-level research activity, as evidenced for example by peer reviewed publications and grant income.
- Capacity of delivering high quality, effective teaching in English.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues in the Department, School and University.
- Knowledge of new developments in Media and Communication Studies.
- A certificate in learning and teaching in higher education.
- Experience in admin work, and willingness to undertake department, school and university services
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online, https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Questions and enquiries about the position may be addressed to Prof Xiaoling Zhang Head of the Department of Media and Communication at email@example.com
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the recruiter from Human Resource Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position and job ID (1881) in your enquiry.