Technical Assistant, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (ONE POST)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL: 011
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
- Maintenance of laboratory instruments/equipment and facilities within the building;
- Provide research support, planning and execution of experiments in conjunction with project leaders;
- Collection and processing of research data;
- Organising, assisting and presentation of student practical classes;
- Marking of assignments/worksheets/practical tests;
- Processing of student marks;
- Contribute to community service projects;
- General administrative- and finances system support in the Department.
- A BSc Honours degree in Physiology;
- Two years research experience with exposure to a variety of laboratory techniques relating to physiology, biochemistry and cell culture.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Research knowledge;
- Database searches;
- Presentation skills;
- Laboratory techniques and safety procedures;
- Computer skills including MS Office, (Word, Excel, Power Point) email, internet), reference management program e.g. Endnote and a statistical analysis program;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Precise and accurate;
- Good interpersonal skills and co-operation with all staff;
- Ability to work independently and able to use own initiative.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- MSc degree in Physiology;
- Teaching experience;
- Maintenance of laboratories;
- Previous work experience as a technical/laboratory assistant;
- Processing of student marks.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 27 September 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms FI Mabaso, Tel: (012) 356 3244/ via email email@example.com for application-related enquiries, and Prof AM Joubert, Tel: (012) 012 319 2246/ via email firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 December 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.