Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Galactic Seismology
- Full time 12 months fixed term employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Physics
- Opportunity to contribute to research focused on stability and equilibrium of galactic discs
- Base Salary Level B $110K - $131 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow. The successful applicant will be working with supercomputer simulations at the Sydney Institute for Astronomy.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- participate in a research programme investigating supercomputer simulations of the stability and evolution of galactic discs
- demonstrate research excellence
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- support teaching activities and the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School of Physics at the University of Sydney is the leading Physics department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our 114 academic staff and 157 postgraduate students conduct research across a vast range of interests from nanoparticles to clusters of galaxies and from theoretical modelling to laboratory experiments. With the support of 20+ professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Physics teaches to a cohort of approximately 274 equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) undergraduate students. With access to supercomputers, modern laboratory facilities and observatories, locally, nationally and internationally, the School of Physics is the premier environment for physics education and research. The School of Physics is committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity. We want to create an environment where individuality is welcomed and celebrated. We are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of Physics, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in Physics
- the ability to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- primary research interests in Milky Way physics and dynamics
- proven research excellence in supercomputer simulations: fluid, MHD, action-space dynamics
- experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars
- demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills, interacting with a variety of researchers and stakeholders.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, Sunday 10 October 2021
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Visa sponsorship is only available for this position for candidates who are currently located within Australia.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.