Pro Vice-Chancellor, Indigenous Engagement
- Senior strategic role within Swinburne University
- Full-time, 5 year fixed term position at our Hawthorn campus
- Attractive salary and benefits
About the Job
The Pro Vice-Chancellor Indigenous Engagement (PVC IE) is a newly created position responsible for leading, guiding and governing the strategic direction of the dual-sector University in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander initiatives and strategies. The PVC IE will establish relationships and liaise with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations, industry, higher education, vocational education, and governments. This position will drive Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nation-building agendas to embed indigenous knowledge across research, teaching and learning, student services and employment.
The PVC IE portfolio includes the Moondani Toombadool Centre, which is responsible for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander matters at Swinburne. The PVC IE will report to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global and Community Engagement) and will work closely with the Executive Director (Reconciliation Strategy and Leadership), who is responsible for reconciliation and the Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne is a world-class university committed to bringing people and technology together to create a better world. We are transforming the future of education by giving students the knowledge, skills, adaptability and experience they need for a future rich in technology. Offering postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online education, Swinburne provides students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Swinburne is the first Australian university to achieve an 'Elevate' status Reconciliation Action Plan. We prioritise self-determination, Indigenous knowledges, cultural safety and broad university engagements. We continue to strengthen our cultural competency programs and increase the number of Indigenous staff and students at the university.
- Leading the University into the future, the PVC Indigenous Engagement will have strategic oversight over several strategies, including employment, student recruitment and retention, teaching and learning, and research.
- The PVC Indigenous Engagement will also develop and implement an overall university Indigenous strategic plan, lead the decolonising and Indigenising of the university, and mentor and upskill Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff.
- Lead Swinburne’s positioning and performance in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander matters with industry, governance, educational bodies, and community.
A full list of selection criteria is available within the position description.
To find out more about the extensive range of benefits offered to Swinburne employees please visit Employee Benefits and refer to ‘Benefits’ section.
How to apply and further information
If you are interested in learning more about this appointment, please contact the executive search consultants assisting the University, Dr Rohan Carr or Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group by phone: 61 3 9654 3288 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is a genuine occupational requirement that the incumbent must identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander as authorised under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.
Diversity and Inclusion
Equity and diversity are integral to achieving our 2025 vision of bringing people and technology together to build a better world. Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity and inclusion through key initiatives such as:
- Reconciliation Action Plan
- Charter of Cultural Diversity
- Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Action Plan
- Swinburne LGBTIQA+ Pride, Gender Equality, Accessibility and Intergenerational inclusion strategies
For further information on all our initiatives visit our equity and diversity website. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Assistance and Support
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact Maree Norden, Diversity & Inclusion Manager at email@example.com. For support or queries related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, please contact Timothy Werner at DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Applications close at 5 pm Sunday 31st October 2021.