Postdoctoral Fellow in Mechanical Engineering
ORGANIZATION NAME College of Engineering
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral Fellow tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- Identify, develop, evaluate and optimize future sustainable energy system scenarios strategies at regional/centralized and small/distributed-scale, through in-depth literature review and thermodynamic, economic and environmental modeling and optimization. This will involve energy conversion, storage and distribution equipment and process design/specification.
- Construct and validate (against appropriate reference data) thermodynamic, economic and environmental models of regional and distributed-scale energy systems including using energy planning/modeling software, both for conventional and low-carbon energy systems.
- Evaluate low-carbon energy system scenarios by (i) developing and applying appropriate thermodynamic, economic, environmental, and life cycle assessment (LCA) performance metrics and evaluation approaches, (ii) using developed models, (iii) assessing (sub)system performance sensitivity to key design/operating parameters, and (iv) optimizing (sub)system based on thermodynamic, economic and environmental criteria.
- Write independently, as directed by the project investigator, publications for submission to high-quartile ranked journals and premier energy/mechanical engineering conferences.
- Take responsibility for reporting technical progress to the project investigator, periodically and in a timely manner.
- Carry out a specified research program under the direction of the project investigator.
- Collaborate and work in a collegial manner with the project team members.
- Support the project team in the advancement of the research program.
- Function autonomously, ethically, and responsibly.
- Assist with the mentoring of graduate and undergraduate students, and research staff working on the project, as directed by the project investigator.
- PhD degree in chemical, mechanical or related engineering field.
- Good engineering background/experience in mechanical/chemical and energy engineering, energy system planning, modeling and optimization.
- Desired experience in some of the following areas: heat recovery and utilization, heat/material integration, hydrogen, power-to-gas, carbon capture, energy storage.
- Desired experience in design and evaluation of small/distributed-scale to large/centralized-scale energy systems, using energy, exergy, economic, exergoeconomic, environmental, life cycle, and dispatch analysis, and optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, without direct supervision, and team player skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Good research achievements including publications in reputed academic engineering/scientific journals.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their updated CV to Dr. Valerie Eveloy firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.