Technical Research Support, Digital Pharma and Food Manufacturing
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Computing and Information Systems
Salary: $69,365 - $73,618 (UOM 4)
Role & Superannuation rate: Professional - Part time - 10% super
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering (CE) - We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students.
Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world!
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS) - We are international research leaders with a focus on delivering impact and making a real difference in three key areas: data and knowledge, platforms and systems, and people and organisations.
At the School of Computing and Information Systems, you'll find curious people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world.
About the role:
Digitisation and AI will transform the manufacture of medicine and food. The University of Melbourne has partnered with industry to develop research capacity in this area. An engineer or scientist and computing specialist is needed to ensure that the laboratories are run smoothly, keeping records up to date whilst ensuring that supplies are in place. The lead industry partner is CSL and positions will be located at the University’s Parkville campus.
The positions available are as follows:
Technical Research Support (Experimental) (up to 18-month appointment):
The Technical Research Support will aid experimental laboratory work including mammalian cell culture and membrane separations. Working alongside a team, the Assistant will be responsible for assisting with general laboratory duties including maintenance of the laboratory and equipment, ordering of supplies and ensuring that safety systems are in place and consistent with standards within the pharma industry. The Technical Research Support will work under the supervision of other laboratory staff.
Technical Research Support (Digital) (up to 18-month appointment):
The Technical Research Support will provide support to postdoctoral fellows in code development. The position will work alongside a team, providing researchers with equipment operation and sample preparation and ensuring the smooth running of the laboratory.
Naturally you will be capable of demonstrating your prior record of achievement in the following:
- Completion of a tertiary qualification with relevant work-related experience and/or equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/ training-
- Technical Research Support (Experimental) - microbiology, mammalian cell culture, biochemistry or chemical engineering
- Technical Research Support (Digital) - computer science, data science or software engineering
- Technical Research Support (Experimental) – strong practical laboratory skills.
- Technical Research Support (Digital) - strong coding skills
- Experience and ability to prioritise tasks and manage competing priorities to achieve project objectives within timelines
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and manuscript submissions
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner
Additionally, it would be desirable (but not necessary) if you if you also had experience in relation to any of the following:
- Experience interacting with industry partners
- Specifically, for:Technical Research Support (Experimental)
- Experience in in cell culture.
- Specifically, for: Technical Research Support (Digital)
- Experience in data preparation, cleansing, and analysis using Python
- Experience in algorithms development and knowledge of Java (scientific programmer)
For all other responsibilities and requirements for these roles please refer to the attached Position Description.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, childcare subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- Cover Letter – clearly stating which role you are applying for and addressing all selection criteria within this one letter.
- Your Resume.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be currently located within Australia and able to commence immediately or as soon as your notice period has been served.
You will be an Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident or holder of an appropriate visa.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
Applications close: 30 Aug 2021 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time