Research Fellow, School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
Application closing date 09/08/2021
Salary £36,914 – £40,322 per annum.
Job category/type Research
The School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work is currently recruiting for a Research Fellow to assist in planning, conducting and delivering the research project ‘Experiences of education among minority ethnic groups in Northern Ireland’, funded by the Nuffield Foundation.
Within this post you will support the core research team in carrying out the project and contribute to all aspects of the qualitative data collection and analysis with children, parents/carers, and organisational stakeholders.
This is a fixed term contract available for 20 months.
As the successful candidate you will have the following:
- An upper second-class honours degree (or equivalent) or a master’s degree in education, social science or other relevant subject.
- Have or be about to obtain a PhD in education, sociology, or a cognate discipline.
- At least two years’ experience of undertaking qualitative data collection and analysis.
- At least one year’s experience of undertaking research with minority ethnic and/or newcomer communities (in an academic, paid or voluntary capacity).
- An understanding of theory and research relating to education and ‘race’, ethnicity and/or migration.
- Experience of communicating research to lay audiences.
- Willingness to travel around Northern Ireland as required.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all. However, our employment monitoring data tells us that individuals from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, people with a disability and those who identify as LGBT+ are currently under-represented at the University. Also, protestants are currently under-represented in this category of work. As such, we particularly welcome applications from these individuals.
For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, including our work in relation to Gender Equality (Athena SWAN), LGBTQ+ inclusion (Stonewall Workplace Equality Index), Disability and Race (Race Equality Charter) please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity and/or www.qub.ac.uk/qgi
For further information and details on the University’s Staff Networks please click here.