Research Fellow, Digital Pharma and Food Manufacturing
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Salary: $75,289 - $102,163 (Level A)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 10% super
Department/School: Department of Chemical Engineering (CE) and School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
Role & Superannuation rate: Full Time or Part Time – 10%
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering (CE) – We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students. Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world!
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS) - We are international research leaders with a focus on delivering impact and making a real difference in three key areas: data and knowledge, platforms and systems, and people and organisations.
At the School of Computing and Information Systems, you'll find curious people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world.
About the role:
Digitisation and AI will transform the manufacture of medicine and food. Victoria needs to develop skills and tools to realise the benefits of this transformation.
The University of Melbourne has partnered with industry to develop a program to transform food and pharma manufacturing, with new tools and platforms, custom education and a more digitally skilled workforce. Engineers, scientists and computing specialists will work with the pharma and food industries to build Australian advanced manufacturing capabilities. The lead industry partner is CSL and positions will be co-located at the University’s Parkville campus as well as the CSL Parkville premises.
The research will examine process modelling, simulation, optimisation and the best use of process data.
The multiple positions that are available through this program are:
- Research Fellow (RF1) - Cell Culture in Pharmaceutical Production
- Research Fellow (RF2) - Scaling Bioreactors in Cell Culture
- Research Fellow (RF3) - Membrane Operations in Pharmaceutical Production
- Research Fellow (RF4) - Machine Learning for Optimization in Bioreactor Fermentation
- Research Fellow (RF5) - Reducing the Uncertainty Found in Bioprocessing and Medical data (0.5 FTE) bioprocessing and (0.5 FTE) on medical data
For detail on each role please refer to the attached Position Description.
Naturally you will be capable of demonstrating your prior record of achievement in the following:
- postgraduate research degree at PhD level (or near completion) or Higher Education qualification in a field relevant to each position described above. Specifically:
- Research Fellow (RF1 & RF2) - mammalian cell culture, biotechnology, biochemical or chemical engineering.
- Research Fellow (RF3) - biotechnology, protein chemistry, biochemical or chemical engineering.
- Research Fellow (RF4) - machine learning or computer science.
- Research Fellow (RF5) - data science, statistics, bioinformatics/biostatistics or computer science.
- record of high-quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity
- performing independent research with a commitment to interdisciplinary research
- leading and contributing in a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary teams
- being detail oriented, self-motivated and committed to the profession
- working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines, demonstrating flexibility to flourish in a fast-paced environment
- capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and manuscript submissions
- excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner
- ability to develop, administer and see through to completion appropriately designed research projects with limited supervision
- flexibility in job location (CSL & University of Melbourne) and the ability to work across multiple worksites will be required
Additionally, it would be desirable (but not necessary) if you if you also had experience in relation to any of the following:
- for lab-based positions, experience in the relevant techniques is desirable (e.g. cell culture and bioreactor operation, protein purification)
- for digital positions experience in the relevant digital techniques is desirable
- supervision of students or other researchers
- record of applying for and attracting research grant funding
- interacting with industry partners
- capacity to build collaborations with a range of other researchers
You will be supported to pursue achievement in all four pillars of an academic career:
- Teaching and Learning
- Service and Leadership
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, childcare subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- Cover Letter – clearly stating which RF1-5 role(s) you are applying for and addressing all selection criteria within this one letter.
- Your Resume.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be currently located within Australia and able to commence immediately or as soon as your notice period has been served.
You will be an Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident or holder of an appropriate visa.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
Applications close: 22 Aug 2021 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time