Clinical Research Associate
We are looking for a clinical research associate (CRA) with a background in psychiatry or experimental medicine to join the Department of Psychological Medicine at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN), King’s College London.
The appointee will join a team working on an exciting functional MRI study of reward and motivation function in people with bipolar disorders and major depression (the MODEM study) led by Prof Mitul Mehta and Dr Paul Stokes. They will have a key role in participant recruitment, neuroimaging and in facilitating the assessment of Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis function in participants using the Dex/CRH test. The appointee will work both at the KCL Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, where neuroimaging assessments will be conducted, and at the NIHR King's Wellcome Clinical Research Facility (CRF) where HPA axis assessments will take place.
The appointee will be supervised by Dr Paul Stokes, Clinical Reader in Mood Disorders and co-Principal Investigator for the MODEM study. They will also have an opportunity to join related pharmacological fMRI studies projects in the department and to contribute to the MSc Affective Disorders teaching programme, for example supervising a student dissertation. Supervision support would be provided for an appointee who wishes to register for an MD(Res).
Previous experience may include participant recruitment for research studies, assessment of people with mood disorders, analysis of neuroimaging and cognitive data, and assessment of HPA axis function using the Dex/CRH or other assessments.
The person appointed will be able to work well within a team, to be organised and methodical and to work independently seeking help appropriately when required. They will have a flexible approach to working arrangements.
This post will be available to start from 1st September 2021
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 18 months
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
• Conduct research as part of the MODEM fMRI study, particularly implementing HPA axis testing at the CRF and supporting participant recruitment. The appointee will be encouraged to develop their own research interests and will have an opportunity to join related pharmacological fMRI studies projects that are part of the ongoing research programme in the department.
• Publish high quality peer-reviewed papers in this field
• To assist Principal Investigators and collaborators in data management
• Contribute to reports, and dissemination of findings and papers at internal and external academic meetings and conferences.
• Participate in other aspects of research or teaching as necessary and as directed by Dr Stokes
Skills, knowledge, and experience
• Undergraduate medical degree
• GMC registration with a license to practice
• Capable of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Postgraduate clinical training in psychiatry (MRCPsych or equivalent)
• Previous research experience in neuroimaging or translational medicine
• Research in mental health
• Clinical research experience in Affective Disorders or other relevant clinical research area
• Peer reviewed publications
• Presentations at international conferences
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.
Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Neuroimaging, Research, HPA axis