Research Assistant, Biodiversity Informatics
- Part time 0.6 FTE, 3 year fixed term contract
- Located at Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus
- $69,882 - $78,262 per annum pro rata + 17% superannuation
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
SAEF (Securing Antarctica’s Environmental Future) is an Australian Research Council Special Research Initiative to strengthen Antarctic science, policy and governance at a time of rapid environmental and geopolitical change - https://arcsaef.com/
About the position
Primary responsibility will be data analytics, production of graphics and reporting, working predominantly with biodiversity data. Secondary responsibilities include general research group support, such as social media management, purchasing, logistics and organisation. Suitable candidates will have skills and experience in data science to collate, synthesize and analyse biodiversity and environmental data and to build and manage environmental and biodiversity information systems.
Skills and Experience
- To be considered for this position, you will possess a degree in Data Science or Ecology/Environmental Science without subsequent relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant training, skills and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical and technical knowledge in Data Science in a straightforward way to environmental and biodiversity sciences.
- Effective analytical and problem solving ability.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop excellent working relationships with, colleagues, students and other stakeholders.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: Monday, 2 August 2021 by 11.55pm AEST.
Position Enquiries: Prof. Melodie McGeoch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment Enquiries: email@example.com
Only candidates with full working rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
- A separate document addressing each essential and desirable bullet point in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe Cultural Qualities:
We are Accountable, We are Connected, We are Innovative, We Care
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and respectful working environment for all staff. We offer flexible work arrangements that can assist you in balancing your work and other responsibilities.
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.