Instructor/Lecturer, Social Sciences
The Chua Thian Poh Community Leadership Centre (CTPCLC) in NUS invites applications for the position of Instructor/Lecturer. This is a full-time position that is offered as a 2-year term contract in the first instance, and is renewable subsequently.
The successful applicant will primarily teach and supervise students enrolled in our Centre's academic programme. This includes:
- offering academic modules related to community development,
- supervising small groups of students for their Community Development Practicum (on which students engage in field research on community/social issues in Singapore, typically in partnership with a community organisation),
- advising and mentoring students on co-curricular activities (e.g. student interest groups),
- be part of the academic team and will play a role in curriculum development, ethics review, and other academic-related activities,
- managing existing and developing new partnerships with other community organisations in Singapore, for the purpose of providing students with learning opportunities (e.g. practicums, internships, employment), and
- supporting the Centre's events and activities (e.g. preparing students for presentations, assisting in the production of collaterals and other publications).
- Eligible candidates should have a PhD degree /Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from reputable universities. Relevant disciplines include but are not limited to Anthropology, Health-related disciplines, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, International Development and Gerontology. We are also open to candidates who will be obtaining their PhD in the next 6 months.
- Candidates should preferably be trained in social science research methods (e.g. qualitative, quantitative methods), or in action/ community-based participatory research techniques, and/or community-centred fieldwork, and/or design thinking. Knowledge of or training in programme/process evaluation and impact assessment methods (e.g. SROI) will be a plus. We welcome, in particular, candidates with experience working with or conducting research in community settings and/or on vulnerable populations.
- Ideally, candidates should have some experience teaching and/or mentoring students in higher education, with aspirations to develop themselves as an educator.
- Passion for community development and enthusiasm for supervising, advising and mentoring college students are essential.
- Salary will commensurate with rank, qualifications and experience. The University provides a comprehensive package of benefits, including healthcare coverage.
Your application package should comprise the following
- Cover Letter including information on what you know about the Centre and why do you wish to be part of the Centre
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy: A statement of teaching philosophy, including goals and approaches
- Teaching History: A summary of modules taught (if applicable)
- Evidence of effective teaching e.g. student feedback and evaluations (if available)
- Publications list and community-related service/activities
- Three Referees with their business contact details.
Deadline for application: 12 July 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Chua Thian Poh Community Leadership Ctr
Department : Chua Thian Poh Community Leadership Ctr
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 6769