Clinical Veterinary Registrar, Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital
- Here's your opportunity to provide exceptional exotic animal and wildlife veterinary care
- Located on the Camden Campus at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Camden (UVTHC)
- Full time (38 hours per week), HEO 6 fixed term contingent on the continuation of external funding, with a base salary of $97K - $105K p.a., plus a generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
As a vet who loves exotic and wildlife medicine, The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Clinical Veterinary Registrar to provide best-practice veterinary care to first opinion and referred clients of the Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital (AREPH) whilst facilitating the development to the vets of the future. AREPH operates as a supra - regional service for avian, exotic pets, reptiles and wildlife in the historic Macathur district. As part of the exotics team, you will be responsible in building a client-base and profile of this service through the adoption of best practice.
The Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital (AREPH) is part of the UVTHC and provides medical and surgical care to more than 3,500 client owned exotic pets and over 700 wildlife cases per year. The AREPH is also actively involved in teaching final year DVM students, wildlife carers, volunteers and members of the public about exotic pet and wildlife health, a very rewarding role. You will be a part of a supportive team of wildlife and exotics focused nurses and colleagues as well as enthusiastic students and volunteers to work with. The excitement of cases ranging from helping an injured pelican to a koala under WIRES care to a coughing neighbourhood chicken is both challenging but satisfying knowing you are contributing to the community.
To learn more about the Sydney School of Veterinary Science click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Clinical Veterinary Registrar who has:
- a degree in veterinary science registrable in NSW (or equivalent) and subsequent relevant veterinary experience
- sound experience in a multi veterinarian practice or hospital involving the medical care of birds, reptiles, exotic pets and native species
- sound communication skills to engage with colleagues and undergraduate veterinarians
- the ability to cope with emergency and stressful situations
- experience in working within a team environment in a highly co-operative manner
- competent veterinary experience with sound diagnostic and therapeutic clinical skills in medicine and surgery
- a high level of maturity, professionalism and self organisational skills
- a willingness to accept responsibility to teach undergraduate veterinarians sound principles of exotic pet medicine and surgery, including routine healthcare and delivery of lectures and tutorials
- an ability to accept responsibility and to show leadership and initiative in further development of the client base for the service
- a desire to provide best-practice principles in the provision of veterinary services.
Please outline your relevant skills and experience in your cover letter and attach to your online application.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
How to Apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV/Resume and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University and would like to submit an application, please login into your Workday account.
Navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard once logged into Workday and click on the USYD Find Jobs report to apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.