Head of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy/Outstanding Principal Investigator
University of Nottingham Ningbo China(UNNC) invites applications for the founding Head of Green Chemicals and Energy Centre, part of Nottingham Ningbo China Beacons of Excellence Research and Innovation Institute (CBI). This is an exciting opportunity to participate and lead part of the Beacons of Excellence global research initiative by the University of Nottingham, spearhead research strategy development and build a world class team from the ground up at a new research institution strongly supported by UNNC and the Ningbo government, as well as take advantage of the opportunities in collaborations between industry and academia, and funding agencies in China offered by this great platform.
Reporting to the Executive Director of CBI, the Head of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy will play a critical role in establishing and leading the Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy, with support from CBI’s professional teams.
You will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Goal Setting and Strategy Development. To define the overall aims and objectives of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy aligning with the overall goals of CBI, and to devise, implement and evaluate strategies and plans to achieve specific targets;
- Research Development. To initiate, develop and oversee various levels of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy projects, identifying and addressing needs for tools and systems tools and systems to provide critical information on both strategy and operations for the Research Centre;
- Engagement with Internal and External Stakeholders. To engage with peer academics and staff within CBI and the University of Nottingham campuses in the UK and Malaysia, and other relevant stakeholders within and outside of UNNC to foster collaboration and secure resources;
- Research Team Building and Development. To build a strong research team through strategic recruitment, supporting staff training, professional development, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the establishment of a healthy and effective institutional culture;
- Operations and Compliance. To identify needs in the development of policies and procedures and to implement change as needed, as well as ensure that the Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy is compliant with legal, regulatory and audit requirements;
- To identify and undertake other tasks and responsibilities as might reasonably be required to further the development and excellence of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy.
We seek to appoint a seasoned, proactive and mature leader who is self-driven and results-oriented, adaptable and creative, with internationally recognized intellectual contributions in the area of green chemicals and energy. You will be at full professor or equivalent level specializing in an area that is related to Green Chemicals and Energy, with more than 10 years of experience in a senior academic leadership role and experiences working with boards. Experience of building or leading a research centre would be desirable. Industry experiences would be preferred. Recognised training in relevant standards and teaching experiences, particularly in key technologies related to green chemicals and energy is required.
You will lead CBI’s development with proven skills in strategic project planning and development in a complex organization, as well as experiences in leading organisational change. Strong analytical skills and experiences in setting and implementing a strategic vision are required. Strong verbal and written communication skills will be crucial in managing internal and external stakeholders. You should possess strong management skills and the ability to motivate team members. You should have an extensive international network to attract talents and secure resources for CBI. A deep understanding of China’s tertiary and research environment will be an advantage.
Nottingham Ningbo China Beacons of Excellence Research and Innovation Institute (CBI) is an exciting new collaboration between the city of Ningbo and the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) designed to establish multi-disciplinary, international, first-class research teams in key areas related to economic development needs of Ningbo. The Institute primarily addresses three prominent issues – Smart Manufacturing, Green Chemicals and Energy, Life Science and Health Care, all of which are closely connected with local development goals. Each of the three areas will have a dedicated research centre hosting leading scholars and researchers, and Research Centre for Green Chemecials and Energy is one of the centres. The total investment for the CBI development is 2,505 millions in 8 years.
University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign University to open its doors in China. Located in Ningbo, this award winning campus offering a UK style education has grown to establish a student body of over 8,000 in 16 years. With campuses in Asia and the UK, UNNC is a pioneering institution that provides an exceptional education and an outstanding student experience. UNNC delivers world-leading research that transforms lives. UNNC will serve as a strong foundation and support for CBI.
Your Remuneration, Benefits and Support
This position will be offered a five-year contract that is extendable upon mutual agreement. Start up and research funding will be provided. Applications for the role of Head of Research Centre for Green Chemicals and Energy should include the following:
- a covering letter
- an up-to-date CV
- a 5-year plan covering research and team build up strategy
- Should the candidate wish to bring their research team, team members’ CV should be attached
- any other relevant supporting documents
For this appointment process UNNC has partnered with the executive search firm Perrett Laver, who will guide and support you through the process. Please contact Dr Gary Tang by email at Gary.Tang@perrettlaver.com for further information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Information provided will be treated in strict confidence and used only for recruitment purposes.
Protecting your personal data is of the utmost importance to Perrett Laver and we take this responsibility very seriously. Any information obtained by our trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerised database and transferred to our clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your
suitability for a role you have registered interest in.As defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, and our legal basis for processing your personal data is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please visit our website http://www.perrettlaver.com/information/privacy