Assistant Professor, English Communication
- Full Time
The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world-class TVET higher education institution, College of the North Atlantic – Qatar (CNA-Q). Established to meet the ambitious and visionary goals of the State of Qatar, CNA-Q is a partnership between the State of Qatar and the College of the North Atlantic in Canada. CNA-Q fills the State’s need for graduates who have applied technical training in their fields of study.
CNA-Q is the third largest post-secondary institution in Qatar, offering 34 advanced diploma, diploma, and certificate programs in a range of technical areas including Business Studies and Information Technology, Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, and Industrial Trades. In September 2020, the College started to offer its first Applied Bachelor Programs, which provide a high-quality mix of theory and applied analytical vocational and occupational skills and competences, coupled with career-oriented, practical education and training. There are 23 programs with international professional accreditation, mainly from Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom.
The School of General Education provides a range of introductory courses to all students of the College in subjects that support the academic structure of the diploma and degree programs. The academic program is designed around core courses in mathematics, natural sciences, English communication, global awareness, social sciences, psychology and other elective studies, aimed at developing an understanding of fundamental concepts and their applications.
The School of General Education invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in English Communication, starting in August 2021.
Reporting to the Department Chair, Communications and Electives, you will plan, develop, and deliver courses in English Communication to students enrolled in a variety of College programs. You will evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. In the framework of cross-school collaboration initiatives, you will participate in industry advisory committees and coordinate, manage and control projects within the specified program area. You will keep course portfolio documents required for program review and accreditation processes and engage in instructional development/improvement plans. The College encourages applications from research-active faculty who will also contribute to the enhancement of applied research and innovation.
A PhD in English, Linguistics (ESL, TESOL), Writing Studies, (Technical) Communication, Rhetoric and Writing, or a related program of study from a recognized, accredited institution.
A minimum of 5 years teaching experience.
Experience in a post-secondary or industry training environment, or as a practitioner/professional within a relevant discipline is welcome. Candidates should also be recognized in the following criteria:
- Contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publication, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope;
- Contribution to the advancement of learning by the leadership of teaching and curriculum development;
- Professional recognition and standing amongst peers;
- Academic subject leadership or academic management.
Other Required Skills
- Candidates must demonstrate exemplary communication, interpersonal skills and native fluency in English;
- Knowledge and understanding of a variety of delivery and student success methods;
- Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of the College’s mandate;
- knowledge of current teaching and learning methodologies and an ability to meet the needs of a diverse student population;
- Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in program outcomes;
- Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems, and an ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support teaching and learning, as well as research;
- Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning;
- Knowledge of Desire2Learn (D2L) and its programs, Zoom, MS Sharepoint, and MS Teams is an asset;
- Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community;
- Ability to initiate applied research projects.
How to Apply
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application, which may include (but need not be limited to) curricula vitae, cover letters, references, teaching dossiers, and sample publications. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each requirement. Applicants must apply online.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.