Associate Professor/Professor and Deputy Head in Applied BioSciences
- Salary Package: Level D/E from $158,533 to $203,543 per annum, plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Continuing Associate Professor/Professor position, including an initial appointment as Deputy Head of Applied BioSciences to 31 December 2024.
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
Applied BioSciences is a recently established research unit in the Faculty of Science & Engineering at Macquarie University. We operate in close partnership with state and national research agencies to develop innovative solutions to address national and global biological challenges in agriculture, the environment, and disease vectors affecting human, plant and animal health. Following a highly successful establishment phase, we are now undergoing an exciting phase of investment and expansion.
With a focus on expanding our capability for delivering effective solutions to biological challenges together with our partner organisations, we are seeking applications from talented individuals within Australia and abroad with the vision and capability to take a leadership role in both applied and strategic biological research and discovery, and industry and commercial partnership and engagements.
The role will deputise for the current Head of Applied BioSciences to 31 December 2024 and will make important contributions to strategy as well as take a lead role in our research, research training and operations. We are seeking applicants with outstanding academic achievement, communication, and leadership skills in order to cultivate a culture of excellence in outcome-focused research and research training.
The successful applicant will represent and promote Applied Biosciences and the faculty with a range of local and international groups, agencies and communities and will establish a substantial research program in a discipline that complements the current capability of Applied BioSciences. This important appointment will be at Academic Level D (Associate Professor) or Level E (Professor), depending on the attributes and experience of the successful applicant. The role is in our recently established Technical/Industry/Commercial job family.
As a researcher, you will share the vision and values of Applied BioSciences, working with our partner organisations and other collaborators to identify research needs of industry, government, and other end-users and stakeholders, and to develop high quality research solutions to address these needs. You will value excellence both in the discovery and application aspects of biological science.
As Deputy Head of Applied BioSciences you will provide operational leadership for the day to day running of this research partnership, particularly through the current phase of growth and diversification of research enterprise in Applied BioSciences.
If you have passion for translating high quality biological research into high quality solutions for industry, government, or humanity, then this is a role that you will thrive in.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 57 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
Applied BioSciences aim is to contribute as a world leader in translational research that draws on and applies diverse disciplines such as entomology, microbiology, biotechnology, traditional genetics, synthetic biology, chemical ecology, marine science, and physiology to address major national and global biological challenges in Food production, the Environment and Disease vectors affecting human, plant and animal health.
To be considered for this position apply online by submitting your CV and a separate cover letter (of no more than 3 pages) that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
Essential Selection Criteria
- Hold a PhD in a relevant discipline, with significant contributions to scholarship and research in applied and strategic biological research including real world impact in your field
- A sustained track record in winning nationally competitive and/or industry research funding
- Evidence of demonstrated commitment to cross-disciplinary collaboration and/or enabling multidisciplinary collaborations within a department, faculty, university and/or the wider community
- Recognised leadership in, and a sustained track record of adding value to an institution (or university) arising from involvement with prominent advisory boards or steering committee’s and/or sustained and durable industry, government, NGO, philanthropic or community engagement
- Demonstrated track record of developing, mentoring and ensuring the professional development of staff and students, with a focus on early career researchers and the effective supervision of research students
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting and advancing the principles of equity, inclusion and diversity in STEMM workplaces is preferred
Specific Role Enquiries: Distinguished Professor Phillip W. Taylor, Head of Applied BioSciences via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
General Enquiries: Katherine Rodionoff, HR Consultant via e-mail Katherine.email@example.com
If you're already part of the Macquarie Group (MQ University, U@MQ, MQ Health, MGSM), you'll need to apply through your employee Workday account. To apply for this job: Login to Workday and go to the Careers App > Find Jobs.
18/07/2021 11:59 PM
Equity & Diversity Statement
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
More searches like this
- Biological Sciences Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in North Ryde
- Biological Sciences Other Senior Management jobs in North Ryde
- Biological Sciences Academic Posts jobs in North Ryde
- Biological Sciences Professors / Chairs jobs in North Ryde
- Biological Sciences Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in North Ryde