Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Statistics and Actuarial Science
DEPARTMENT: Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Probability, Statistics and Actuarial Science
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor
Applicants working in the following fields will be preferred: Probability, Statistics and Actuarial Science, including
- Stochastic Processes, Applied Statistics, Statistical Learning, Bayesian Methods, Time Series Analysis, Data Science, High-dimensional Data Analysis, Biostatistics.
- Actuarial Mathematics, Insurance Statistics, Risk and Loss Modelling and Analysis in Insurance, Insurance Risk Management. Professional actuarial qualifications recognized by the Society of Actuaries (SOA) or the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) is a plus.
Outstanding applicants in other areas will also be considered.
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
- Lecturer: 23,150-25,594 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
- Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
- Associate Professor: 36,127-38,967 RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705 RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: Open until filled; however, applications received by 21st June 2021 at 12 pm (GMT +8) will be given first consideration
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 11th July 2021
JOB ID: 2022
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science (https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study/departments/academic-departments/statistics-and-actuarial-science/) is newly established in September 2020 within the School of Science at XJTLU. Our vibrant research atmosphere is driven by interdisciplinary research groups in Applied Probability and Statistics, Actuarial Mathematics and Data Science. There are currently 10 academic staff.The areas of departmental activity include learning and teaching, research and all outreach activities. Up to 2023, we expect to achieve a research-led, teaching enhanced, and research and teaching balanced operation mode in line with the highest international standards.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct high-quality research in Probability, Statistics and Actuarial Science as shown by publications in leading journals.
- Actively pursue external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
Preference will be given to applicants who have shown excellent accomplishments in research and teaching. It is important to note that a successful applicant must be able to teach in English as XJTLU’s working and instructional language is English.
- A PhD in Probability/Statistics/Actuarial Science/Mathematics.
- For the level of Lecturer, completion of PhD study.
- For the Assistant professor and above level, two years of full-time postdoctoral experience with demonstrable teaching experience.
- International experience in higher education.
Experience in conducting research supported by research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in supervision of student projects.
- Experience in module/programme design in Statistics or Actuarial Science
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application online. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer and last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Dr. Yinna Ye, Head of department by email: Yinna.Ye@xjtlu.edu.cn If you are unable to apply online, please contact the HR at Mengdie.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Please quote the position and job ID (2022) in your enquiry.