Postdoctoral Research Associate on Lubricant-Infused Surfaces
- Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in Surface Chemistry
- Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Chemistry
- Full time, Level A fixed term, 2 years, offering a base salary of $93K - $103K p.a., plus leave loading and generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate on lubricant-infused surfaces to support the research activities funded by the Australian Research Council Future Fellowship to explore, with physical and computational experiments, the drag-reducing and anti-fouling properties of lubricant-infused surfaces. In this role you will work under the supervision of Professor Chiara Neto and be part of an effort to increase our understanding of flow and wetting at surfaces, involving PhD students and researchers in the School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney. Our research is primarily experimental and relies on state-of-the-art surface modification and characterisation. Theoretical tools and computer simulations are also used in quantitative data analysis and mathematical modelling of the underlying processes.
The job responsibilities include:
- explore wetting and flow properties at lubricant-infused interfaces
- perform characterisation of anti-bacterial and marine anti-fouling properties
- investigate conditions of lubricant depletion
- conduct literature reviews and write scientific manuscripts
- co-supervise research students in the group and assist in lab management
For more details on the Neto group visit: https://neto.sydney.edu.au/
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is a leading Chemistry department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our more than 30 academic staff, 100 research staff, and 100 research students conduct research across the full spectrum of pure and applied chemistry. Our research excellence is recognised by numerous prizes and awards to individual staff members and the award of over $7 million in research funding each year. With the support of over 30 professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Chemistry administers and delivers undergraduate teaching for about 2500 students. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity, and we are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about the School of Chemistry, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Postdoctoral Research Associate on lubricant-infused surfaces who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) degree (or equivalent) in Physical Chemistry, Interface Physics, Chemical Engineering or closely-related disciplines
- a strong theoretical background in wetting and/or flow
- independence in conducting high quality research under limited supervision
- proven high-level problem-solving skills
- advanced fundamental understanding of wetting, microfluidic flow or fouling
- a strong track record in research publication in journals of high impact
- excellent organisational and administrative skills with attention to detail; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- a post-postdoctoral level experience in working in the fields wetting, interfacial slip or fouling-reducing coatings; skills in computational studies of flow and wetting; experience working in international settings, is desirable.
Please outline as part of your covering letter, how you could contribute to:
- the discovery of interfacial effects relevant to lubricant-infused surfaces
- the development of new apparata and/or measurement techniques for the study of liquid/liquid interfaces
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
Visa sponsorship is only available for this position for candidates who are currently located within Australia.
If you are a current employee of the University and would like to submit an application, please login into your Workday account.
Navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard once logged into Workday and click on the USYD Find Jobs report to apply.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.