Software Engineer, Research Application Support
Location: 1 Guildhall Square
Salary: £30,942 to £38,017 Per annum
Full Time Permanent
Closing Date: Wednesday 23 June 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
The Research Application Support Team are responsible for the software and digital services that underpin the University of Southampton’s researchers and scientists. We are looking for talented technical staff to deploy and maintain our broad range of off-the-shelf and bespoke applications. Join us on our transformation towards modern, cloud-hosted solutions.
About the Role
We’re looking for candidates who understand the value of delivering well-architected and testable solutions with clear, concise documentation. You will be working as part of a team who are committed to delivering high-quality results to enable the research activities of the university. If you are keen to learn new techniques and relish working to high standards, then we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with our users to design solutions to facilitate and manage their research.
- Install, configure, and maintain applications in support of these research activities.
- Work in a team of software engineers, delivering reliable and secure services.
- Manage the entire lifecycle of services, from design to decommission.
We’re particularly looking for candidates with experience using the following tools, technologies and frameworks:
- Knowledge of cloud services, in particular Microsoft Azure.
- Automated deployment tools for Linux and Windows operating systems, in particular Puppet or Desired State Configuration (DSC).
- Scripting ability, in particular using Bash or PowerShell.
- Experience of Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tools, in particular Azure DevOps, TeamCity or OctopusDeploy.
- Experience of delivering high-quality customer service, ideally in an IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) environment.
This post is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
The University of Southampton is a research driven institution, home to some of the world’s leading minds, expanding our knowledge and passing it on to future generations. iSolutions is the University’s IT support service whose 230+ staff support the delivery of the University’s research and education activities as well as the usual business operations. We would love you to join us and help change the world for the better.
The University of Southampton promotes a healthy work life balance with generous holiday allowance (30+ days), defined benefit pension, flexi-time and flexible working, generous parental leave and childcare provision. For more information on our benefits, please visit our human resources pages.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Hannah Nash (HR Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote reference 1383221JF on all correspondence.