Director, Aga Khan Humanities Project
Department: Aga Khan Humanities Project (AKHP)
Duty station: Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Deadline: 31 August 2021
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia (UCA) seeks to fill the full-time position of Director of the Aga Khan Humanities Project (AKHP). AKHP, launched in 1995, has advanced a bold approach to teaching the humanities through courses that are interdisciplinary, rather than multidisciplinary, focusing on specific skills of reasoning and aesthetic appreciation. Interdisciplinary learnings offer a coherent exploration of reality that cuts across various disciplines of humanities that include, literature, history, social sciences, music, architecture, drama, poetry, folklore, and whatever in the natural sciences is concerned with human origins and human consciousness.
AKHP today supports a partnership with 87 universities and colleges in three Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan) with over 400 trained instructors delivering eight interdisciplinary humanities courses developed by regional and international scholars. The courses explore abiding issues facing the individual and society through a pedagogy fostering critical thinking, academic writing, and oral expression. A regional 'Debate Club,' public lecture series and cooperation on crafting master’s level courses on contemporary Central Asia are other activities. AKHP, headquartered in Dushanbe, was established in 1997 by Aga Khan Trust for Culture and became part of UCA in 2007.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead AKHP in a new phase of growth that includes reinvigorating the partnership network by establishing a digital platform as a forum for discussing ideas regarding existing and new courses, which is also a storehouse of relevant research, and provides online professional development opportunities.
- Forge synergies with other entities of the Graduate School of Development and the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Strengthen AKHP’s role as a bridge between UCA and a broader Central Asian academic community.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or equivalent in the humanities, a record of scholarly accomplishments and broad erudition of the humanities.
- A demonstrated record of administrative experience in academic/research leadership positions.
- Experience in designing and teaching humanities courses with a keen appreciation for interdisciplinary approaches.
- Deep contextual understanding of Central Asia and its higher educational challenges.
- Familiarity with digital technology.
- Grant writing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in teams.
- Good proficiency in spoken and written English and Russian.
- Knowledge of other Central Asian languages (Kyrgyz, Tajik, Kazakh) would be a bonus.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, CV and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is 31 August 2021. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Director, AKHP”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.