Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor in Property Investment
Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor in Property Investment
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus
Salary: £37,505 to £59,880 per annum (dependent on grade)
Closing Date: Wednesday 30 June 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Built Environment utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities. We are a practice-based school, our undergraduate programmes are delivered using the CDIO (Conceive, Design, Implement and Operate) framework, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving world around us. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We seek an individual capable of teaching and undertaking research aligned to the research activities to the Property, Planning and Policies Research Cluster at BCU.
To support our Property Investment aspirations, the Department of Built Environment is seeking to appoint to one of the following roles:
Lecturer = £37,505 to £40,766 per annum
Senior Lecturer = £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Associate Professor = £55,091 to £59,880 per annum
Applicants will teach across a variety of different levels and courses. The role will involve the digital delivery across our property courses. We are seeking particular expertise relating to Property Asset Management, Property Data Analysis, Valuation, Property Development, Property Fund Management, Property Marketing.
Registration with professional bodies (RICS or CIOB) will be an advantage.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Teach at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Supervise student projects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in leading academic journals, and develop bids and partnerships for research funding.
- Contribute to the design and development of high quality, up-to-date Real Estate courses.
- Contribute to the administration and development of the course provision within the School.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Engage in reflective practice as a method for identifying inhibitors and facilitators to performance.
- Academic-related administration and management.
- Address the pastoral needs of students.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience.
- Subject expertise in the Property Investment field.
- Strong technical background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards, technical and software requirements in the Property Investment field inc. CoStar, EG Radius Data Exchange.
- Eligible for / and are a member of the appropriate Professional body such as RICS.
- Excellent presentation and teaching skills, as demonstrated by Higher Education teaching experience or regular presentations to industry.
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Ability to build collaborative internal and external relationships.
- A good first degree and PhD in the subject field.
- Full membership of an appropriate professional body such as MRICS etc.
- Potential or a proven track record of publishing in high quality refereed journals.
- Ability or a strong record of research and research publications.
- Interest in or a track record of attracting externally funded research funding and partnering in a chosen field of interest.
- Track record of successful networking and community management.
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration.
- Ability or a proven record of attracting research funding and partnering across areas of practice.
For roles at a more senior level preference will be given to staff who can demonstrate a research publication track record in well regarded refereed journals and/or securing research grants and contracts. Applicants who have a Masters qualification and extensive practice experience at managerial level will also be considered. Strong leadership background within academia or industry is essential for the Associate Professor role.
The specific requirements for each role are detailed in the relevant job descriptions so applicants are advised to review these carefully before making an application.
In return for your dedication and hard work, you can expect great ongoing personal and professional development plus the following main benefits:
- Generous annual leave entitlement – 40 days including bank holidays and Christmas/New Year closure
- Sickness/absence entitlement
- Teachers’ Pension scheme
- Library facilities on all campuses
- Life Assurance
- Personal Accident
- Travel card scheme
- Car parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car share scheme
- Catering facilities
For an informal discussion of the post, please contact Mark Shelbourn on +44 7599 500478.
To apply for this role, complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Selection and Interview Process
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a an Assessment Centre process, incorporating a detailed interview, teaching activity and a team-based activity.
For more details about the role, please contact Dr Mark Shelbourn on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)7599 500478
If you want to be a part of this amazing opportunity, are passionate about education and want to join our richly diverse community, please apply today as we could be part of your future. Complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including name, to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here.