Senior Research Fellow, Industry Engagement
- Collaborative and inclusive team environment within the Department of Accounting
- Located at our Melbourne Burwood Campus
- Level C $121,133 - $139,291 p.a + 17% superannuation (pro-rata)
- 0.4 FTE and fixed-term for 2 years
An opportunity has arisen for an appropriately qualified and experienced senior Researcher with industry engagement experience to join the IPA-Deakin SME Research Centre. The Centre conducts multidisciplinary research on small and medium size private businesses to generate knowledge and apply practical research insights which inform policy change, targeted and purposeful advocacy, and better practice to support SME success.
As the successful candidate, you will be actively involved in conducting industry engagement activities of the IPA-Deakin SME Research Centre as well as the researching, drafting, revision and completion of policy discussion papers, reports and other industry engagement related submissions to achieve the objectives of the work programs of the Centre and the IPA.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience and research record.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Spending two days a week at the offices of the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) to conduct industry engagement activities and maintaining a close relationship with the IPA on behalf of the IPA-Deakin SME Research Centre.
- Working closely with the IPA’s Group Executive, Advocacy and Policy, to understand the strategic needs of the IPA with respect to their public advocacy and policy work;
- Taking the lead on some of the policy papers and reports requested by the IPA by researching, drafting, revising and helping to complete policy papers, submission documents and reports on SME issues to achieve the objectives of the SME Centre work programs;
- Representing the IPA at relevant policy forums as required
- Feeding back the IPA’s strategic needs to the SME Research Centre in a timely manner, and;
- Providing support to the IPA in their engagement with Deakin University on matters relating to administrative, technical and policy issues associated with the SME sector;
- Attending SME Research Centre meetings associated with the Centre’s work programs;
- Provide administrative, technical and network support where this support will help to achieve the objectives of the SME Centre work programs;
To be successful, you will have:
- A relevant doctoral qualification or equivalent qualification with subsequent research expertise and profile in SME related areas.
- Skills and demonstrated experience engaging with industry bodies.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and conduct high quality research.
- An ability to maintain a high standard of research-related data record keeping and a demonstrated ability to meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with (and or negotiate with) clients.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact well with research and technical staff and students and excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.
Applications for this position close on Tuesday 25th May 2021.
This role requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working with Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Please ensure to include a cover letter, resume and responses to the Key Selection Criteria in your application.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.