Post-Doctoral Research Associate, School of Social and Political Sciences
- Exciting opportunity to work on an Australian Research Council funded project 'Inequality in Australia: Housing in the Asset Society'
- Make a contribution to all research phases across the lifespan of the project
- Part time (0.5 FTE) fixed-term position until 31/12/2023 offering a base salary of $96k (pro-rata) p.a. plus leave loading and generous employer's contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Sydney is looking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on an ARC-funded project 'Inequality in Australia: Housing in the Asset Society'. The project addresses the role of housing in growing inequalities of wealth in Australia in an era when housing prices have risen faster than wages.
The project aims to generate new knowledge about:
- the institutional drivers that have led to a combination of house price appreciation and wage stagnation
- and the role that intergenerational housing-based wealth transfers are playing in shaping the life chances and trajectories of young people.
The project aims to build a model of social stratification that takes full account of household asset positions.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will be involved in all phases of the research across the lifespan of the project. The key duties will include supporting interviews with industry and policy actors, the establishment of coding schemes and the coding of qualitative data and analysis via NVivo. The incumbent will also carry out literature, press and relevant archival searches to assist in the establishment of an analysis of the path dependencies of asset inflation. The incumbent will also assist the CIs in modelling work necessary to build an evidence-based model of social stratification and will be expected to contribute to co-authored publications. Finally, The Postdoctoral Research Associate will also assist with day-to-day project management, which will include the establishment and maintenance of a project website and contribute to the organisation of workshops and seminars.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who possesses:
- A PhD or other higher degree in sociology, political economy, housing studies, urban studies or cognate field
- Skills and experience in the recruitment of elite actors for the purpose of qualitative interviews
- Experience in the collection, coding and analysis of qualitative data as well as a prior understanding of NVivo
- Skills in the building of social stratification schemes, including familiarity with current social stratification debates
- Experience in the use of archival and documentary sources and collaborative academic writing
- Project management and organisational skills
- Capacity to establish and maintain project-based websites
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job's listing on the University of Sydney careers website. If you have any additional questions, please contact Paulina Rojas / Nicole Pearson on
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE and search by the job requisition number 0080461 to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing time: Sunday 16th May 2021 (11:30 pm)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.