Lecturer/ Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor in Digital Media Arts
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts, Academy of Media and Creative Technology
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Digital Media Arts / Visual Communication/Motion Graphics
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/ Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor
The salary range for different positions is as follows:
Lecturer: 23,150-25,594 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Associate Professor: 36,127-40,189 RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705 RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 29 April 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2021
JOB ID: 1822
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of trainings in making creative content and arts, the School has been constantly developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the cultural and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage media arts output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes
The successful applicants will have academic and/or industry experience directly related to Digital Media Arts, Motion Design and/or Interactive Design projects. He/ she will be able to demonstrate practical knowledge and understanding of creative design processes. They will also be expected to teach fundamental modules on visual aesthetics and design, including visual communication, 2d/graphics design, and creative media authoring skills. In terms of advanced specialties, the person will be expected to have developed extended practices in motion media-related areas, e.g. expressive motion graphics, visual storytelling, interactive media or other applications oriented to generating creative content.
We are open to applicants who present themselves with high relevance to these attributes. Specifically, the successful applicant will work around with the existing staff whose expertise are geared towards Media and Entertainment industry. We thus value highly the experience directly related to such industry. The available number of posts and their desired specialties are:
- Visual Communication Design: 1
- Motion Design: 2
- Interactive Media: 1
Terminal degrees (PhD/MFA)in the relevant subject areas
Research (desirable) and teaching experience within a university environment
Proficient working knowledge of Digital Media Arts-related software, e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, 2D/3D Multimedia Authoring Applications, Interactive Content Developing Tools
- The ability to teach creative design processes for Digital Media Arts students.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies such as VR, AR.
- Knowledge of design management and practical opportunities for aspiring motion designers.
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
- Experience or willingness in developing practice-based research/applied research
- Exhibition/show planning and execution
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
Informal enquiries maybe addressed to the Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.