Groups 1 and 2 (Studies in Language and Literature / Language Acquisition)
Full-time 37.5 hours per week, 24 Months Fixed Term Contract
IB Assessment Centre, Cardiff
Salary Circa £42,000 per annum depending on experience
Are you looking to work for a global organization with a meaningful mission? Would you like your professional skills to make a difference in the world? Do you want to work with colleagues all over the world who work together to achieve common goals? If so, then we may have the ideal opportunity for you as the International Baccalaureate is seeking a Subject Manager (Groups 1 and 2).
The post-holder will lead and manage the assessment of a portfolio of language subjects to ensure reliability, accuracy and fairness in assessment. The successful applicant will manage the senior examiner team for each language and be responsible for all assessment related activities of these teams including examination paper authoring, standardization and grade award. The IB provides assessments in over 80 different languages each year and the exact portfolio can be negotiable to reflect the skills, experience and linguistic profile of the successful applicant.
The subject manager supports IB professional development workshops, both online and face to face and will represent the IB internationally at workshops, conferences and seminars.
The post-holder will also work closely with other departments of the IB particularly those within the Assessment and Academic directorates.
- Demonstrate leadership of a team of examiners, including senior examiners
- Lead authoring teams to produce high quality assessments
- Implement effective standardization processes and monitor the marking of assessment material
- Lead grade award meetings for designated subject(s)
- Plan and manage expenses related to assessment for the designated subject(s), as appropriate
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders any relevant information or advice on assessment related matters for the designated subject(s)
- Represent the assessment perspective in curriculum review.
- A qualification at degree level, that may need to be relevant to the subject manager’s designated subject(s)
- Significant and relevant post-qualification experience in educational assessment, teaching or research.
- Excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to analyse and draw conclusions from statistical information.
- Excellent writing skills in English (which is the working language of the organization).
- The ability to lead and work within a team and to foster a collaborative environment.
- Competence in using standard office software (including Microsoft Word and Excel).
- A willingness to accommodate innovative ways of working with and using digital media.
- The ability to manage multiple projects to agreed timelines.
- The ability to present effectively for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Ability to work in languages other than English, French or Spanish.
- Successful experience in a similar role.
- Experience in examining.
Other Special Requirements:
- Flexibility to work weekends during peak examinations sessions (May/June, November/December).