Professor / Associate Professor YORK TIMBERS Chair in Wood Structural Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR (ONE POST) YORK TIMBERS
Chair in Wood Structural Engineering
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
o Development and implementation of suitable modules, and
o Teaching of select undergraduate and postgraduate modules in timber engineering
o Establishment of and leading research programmes and collaborating with project development initiatives that YORK TIMBERS and its partners will embark on;
o Postgraduate student supervision in timber engineering;
o Publish research outputs in ISI rated journals and present results at national and international conferences, and
o Promoting and facilitating trans-disciplinary research related to timber engineering including activities in participating academic departments
o Manage the activities of the Chair across the various academic departments involved in the initiative;
o Organise quarterly meetings of the Chair Management Committee (MANCOM) with representatives of participating academic departments
o Report on an annual basis to the Advisory Committee (ADCOM),
o Present at the annual strategic review regarding objectives, activities and deliverables of the Chair for the past academic year and the allocation of funds towards the defined projects for the following academic year;
o Other relevant assignments and administrative tasks as agreed by the Advisory Committee, and
o Financial management of Chair-related research funds together with members of the MANCOM
• Outreach and national and international engagement;
o Represent University of Pretoria in national initiatives to promote mass timber construction;
o National and international networking with specialists in the field with the aim of keeping up to date with leading technology;
o Active interaction with other universities to prevent duplication and encourage collaboration, and
o Outreach to public and professional organizations to promote the use of advanced engineered wood products in South Africa
• Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
Associate Professor / Professor:
- A PhD degree in Civil / Structural Engineering that follows the previous qualification.
- Relevant experience in:
o Structural timber engineering research (5 years)
o Undergraduate & postgraduate teaching (2 years)
o Management (5 years)
- Candidate must preferably be registered or registerable with the Engineering Council of South Africa or registered as Candidate Engineer;
- A proven research record supported by publications in peer reviewed journals;
- Expertise and research experience in one or more of the specialist areas of the research groups in the Department;
- A proven research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals;
- Experience in research of advanced, engineered wood products;
- Experience of working and leading activities in a trans-disciplinary environment;
- A record of previous undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching experience.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Applicants must have an appropriate NRF research rating or be legible to apply for an appropriate rating;
- Proficient in Structural / Timber Engineering;
- Proficient in financial project management;
- Proficient in computer skills for administration, research, and communications;
- Proficient in management of diverse projects and partners, and
- Ability to work within a trans-disciplinary environment
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 24 May 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof WJvdM Steyn, Tel: (012) 420 2429 / 082 219 9704 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.