Research Engineer, Geophysics
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of NUS invite applications for a Research Associate position in Geophysics and Geotechnical engineering.
Successful applicant is expected to work under the City of Tomorrow MND funded project, Focus Area 5: Geophysical investigation for tunnel look ahead. The tunnelling risks for tunnel boring machine (TBM) during the underground excavation are highly related to the geological conditions and the tunnelling environment. In Singapore the ground conditions along tunnel alignment before tunnelling are interpreted based on borehole investigation in routine practice. However, due to the great uncertainty and variability of ground conditions, the boreholes are usually not sufficient to accurately define the undulating rock head level, therefore fail to predict the exact location of the soil-rock interface along the tunnel alignment. This RE position is to perform research and development in designing non-intrusive geophysical techniques integrated in a TBM tunnel environment in Singapore. Successful candidate will enjoy the opportunity to work with an interdisciplinary group of geoscientists, civil engineers, and government regulators.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Geophysics, Mathematics or related fields
- Experiences in working with distributed acoustic sensing technology and its signal processing
- Experiences in field geophysical/geotechnical applications in Singapore
- Strong motivation to work independently on challenging scientific and engineering problems
- General curiosity, critical thinking, and ability to identify valuable research topics
- Strong communication skills, ability to write well and a good publication record
- Familiarity with programing and inversion techniques
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Department : Civil And Environmental Engineering
Employee Referral Eligible: No