Chair, Humanities and Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION NAME College of Arts and Sciences
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
The newly-established Khalifa University combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology, and Research, and the Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research-intensive universities of the 21st century while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
The Chair of Humanities and Social Sciences is responsible for leading the advancement of teaching, research, and service activities of the departmental faculty and for managing the departmental needs, including resources, budget, and personnel.
Main responsibilities of the position include:
- Faculty recruitment, development and retention
- Curriculum development and review
- Facilities development, maintenance and updating
- Leading the development evaluation of faculty research.
The Chair reports directly to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and is the primary liaison between the department and the college. Additionally, the Chair will be an advocate for the department and will ensure that the interests of the department continue to be presented and understood at all levels of the University.
Candidates for the position of Chair of Humanities and Social Sciences must have a full range of qualifications, experience, and abilities to offer the leadership and fulfill the tasks described above, including:
- Doctoral degree in Business/Management, International and Civil Security, Technology Management, Healthcare Management, Political Economy or a related field in Humanities and Social Sciences from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 12 years teaching and postgraduate research experience (at least 5 of which should be at the level of Professor).
- Minimum of 5 years scholarly activity and research and a record of leadership showing interpersonal skills and organizational ability, strong research background, and funding records with recognized professional accomplishments in the relevant field, and a commitment to excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels are required.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit a complete application package by email to RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae in a single pdf file that includes a curriculum vitae, teaching and research statement, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references. Applicants should indicate which positions they are applying for on their cover letter. Successful applicants should be available to take up the post in August 2021. Please state the above-reported reference code IRC 62270 in the email.
Apply for Chair, Humanities and Social Sciences
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly