Specialist Technician, Printed Electronics
Smart Electronic Materials & Systems
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £30,942 to £38,017 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term (1 year)
Closing Date: Sunday 25 April 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We are looking for a Technician to run the laboratory facilities within the Smart Electronic and Materials and Systems (SEMS) Research Group at the University of Southampton.
These labs have state of the art printed electronics equipment and sensor development and measurement facilities. We are therefore looking for a dynamic candidate who is interested in pushing the boundaries of new technologies and assist our researchers and students to develop their ideas to reality.
The role includes learning new equipment and understanding it sufficiently to teach new users as well as troubleshooting and maintaining a broad variety of different systems.
You will have a skill level equivalent to achievement of HND, Degree, NVQ4 or basic professional qualification.
The day to day role includes:
- Maintaining the cleanliness and professionalism of the laboratory.
- Ensuring supplies are well stocked and replenished regularly.
- Training of new users.
- Writing of training, procedures and Health and Safety documentation.
- Preparing samples for other users.
- Fabricating samples for projects; following and improving on standard practices.
- Following and enforcing strict safety rules within the lab.
- Good technical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Understanding and appreciation of the scientific method.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience of working in a lab environment is preferred.
This role is full-time, fixed term for 1 year with the potential to extend.
ECS holds an Athena SWAN bronze award in recognition of its’ continued commitment to improving equality for women in science and engineering. In ECS we take Staff wellbeing and professional development seriously and we have a mentoring scheme for Staff. We will give due consideration to applicants that wish to work flexibly including part-time and job share and to those who have taken a career break. The University has a generous maternity policy and onsite childcare facilities.#
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Kate Pounds (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 5456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote reference 1298120FP-R on all correspondence.