Research Fellow, Applied Statistics
- Full time, 12 month fixed term appointment
- Salary range: Level B $100,374 - $118,776 p.a plus employer contributed superannuation of 17%
School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Centre for Applied Statistics
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The Centre for Applied Statistics provides expert training and consultancy in statistics to enable the University, industry and government to produce excellent research.
Objectives of the Centre are:
- to be recognised as a world-class centre for providing statistical and mathematical advice
- to promote national and international collaborations in statistics
- to support and complement the discipline of statistics within the University at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- to provide world-class statistical and mathematical advice to the University community, government, business and private clients.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will undertake statistical consultation activities independently, or in collaboration with others, to internal and external parties. You will provide high-level statistical expertise for researchers and Higher Degree Research students in applying statistical methodology across a range of disciplines.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in a relevant field (statistics or equivalent)
- A track record of collaborating with researchers ideally including co-authored publications.
- A track record of providing consulting services to industry.
- Must be capable of teaching short courses currently offered by the Centre for Applied Statistics and interested in developing further courses that will benefit Higher Degree Research (HDR) students, UWA staff, and our research and industry partners.
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in providing advice to PhD students and other researchers.
- Demonstrated experience in providing support for grant applications.
- High proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet and email, and statistics packages such as R or equivalent.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- High level knowledge of applications of statistics in research.
- Experience in supervising students at an appropriate level
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to submit curriculum vitae and a document clearly addressing the selection criteria to demonstrate that you meet the criteria.
Closing date: Monday, 10 May 2021
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia
Application details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.