Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor Department of Electrical, Electronic
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL, ELECTRONIC AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR (TWO POSTS) IN COMPUTER ENGINEERING (Re-advertisement)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
It will be expected of the successful candidate to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the Department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate project students and postgraduate honours, master’s and/or PhD students;
- Conduct research as a member of a research group in the Department and publish in leading accredited journals;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support the activities of the relevant research group;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes.
- A relevant BEng-degree from a university of which the undergraduate programme is recognised by the Washington accord or is recognised by ECSA to be equivalent;
- A master’s degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- Expertise and research experience in one or more of the specialist areas of the following research groups in the Department:
- Advanced Sensor Networks Group: Internet of Things (IoT), sensing and communication technologies, machine learning, data security, big data information processing and analytics, cyber-physical systems, smart grid, intelligent transportation technologies;
- Electronics and Microelectronics Group: analogue and digital electronics, integrated circuit design, integrated sensors, printed electronics, RF and mm-wave electronics and optoelectronics;
- Evidence of good quality research publications.
Senior Lecturer (same as for Lecturer, plus):
- A PhD degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- A proven research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
Associate Professor (same as for Senior Lecturer, plus):
- At least five years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution or industry related experience;
- A record of previous undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience, and supervision of master’s or PhD students;
- An established research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
Professor (same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- At least eight years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution;
- A well-established and internationally recognised research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
For all levels:
- The ability to effectively teach large first and second year undergraduate modules.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching excellence;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- An appropriate NRF-research rating;
- Registration with ECSA as Professional Engineer or Candidate Engineer.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A cover letter summarising relevant experience and the areas of your teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 28 April 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof R Naidoo, Tel: (012) 420 5239, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Academic Posts jobs in South Africa
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Professors / Chairs jobs in South Africa
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in South Africa
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in South Africa