Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering
Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering (2012)
DEPARTMENT: Department of Civil Engineering, Design School
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering
LOCATION: Suzhou, China
SALARY: 29,046 – 31,993 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 13th April, 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15th May 2021 (early submission of applications is encouraged)
JOB ID: 2012
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Civil Engineering aims to provide professional academic training of JBM accredited degree courses, which focus on the core subjects of structures, hydraulics, geotechnics, materials, surveying and project management. The Department is continuously developing research areas in the sustainable development of Civil Engineering. The Department currently offers two BEng undergraduate degree programme in Civil Engineering and Architectural Engineering and three MSc degree programmes in Civil Engineering, Sustainable Construction, and Construction Management. The Department also operates a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) programme, where Ph.D. students are supervised by faculty members in their specialty areas.
The Department welcomes applications in all areas of Civil Engineering for the position of Assistant Professor. Applications in Architectural Engineering and Façade Engineering are particularly encouraged.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Engage actively in the learning and teaching activities of civil engineering and related programmes;
- Contribute to the further enhancement of research performance and outputs;
- Provide administrative contributions to the department and University.
Main Responsibility and Accountability
- Engage actively in research activities as evidenced for example by publication, grant income, and supervision of master and doctoral students;
- Deliver high quality and effective teaching, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners;
- Contribute to the effective management of departmental administrative activities.
The candidate has to be a strong team player and self-motivated individual with good interpersonal and relationship building skills and high standards of professionalism. The post holder should also have a good research record, an international research profile, promoting and delivering high quality teaching and research as well as the skills to develop research links with external organisations. The post holder will be expected to enhance XJTLU’s excellence in research and teaching in the area of civil engineering.
- have a PhD degree and experience in civil engineering or an appropriate field;
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position;
- Fluency in English.
- Postdoctoral experience;
- University level teaching experience;
- The post holder should normally have professional qualification and membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (IstructE) or equivalent.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 60 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on our university website, the apply link is https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=2012&company=xjtlu . Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department Dr. Jun Xia at email@example.com. Informal enquiries maybe addressed to HR Recruiting Team at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.