Specialist Technician in Sensor Development
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £31,866 to £33,797
Full Time Fixed Term (until 30/01/2023)
Closing Date: Monday 10 May 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
You will support our research staff in developing new sensors for measuring chemical concentrations in soil and water, including providing them with technical support in electromechanical component design and fabrication, and supporting field deployment of prototype sensors. This offers you an excellent opportunity for exciting interdisciplinary work at the engineering/environmental science interface. You will have access to Southampton University's advanced fabrication and engineering facilities and will be working closely in collaboration with academic investigators, their research groups, and academic collaborators from other UK and US universities.
After relevant training, the day to day responsibilities will primarily be:
- Electronics circuit design including circuit schematic design, PCB layout, in-house prototyping and system debugging.
- Integration of additional off-the-shelf electronic components, modules and test equipment into our existing sensor systems.
- Support of the day to day running and maintenance of existing laboratory/workshop equipment.
- Prototyping of electromechanical systems using off-the-shelf mechanical components, 3D printing, machining and micromachining.
- Supporting deployments of microcontroller-based embedded systems, wireless communication technologies, and optical/electrochemical sensors.
- Development of mechanical components using 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks.
- Fabrication and testing of calibration jigs.
This job requires
- Collaboration with researchers and students within the group, and collaborators from other UK and US universities.
- Laboratory work mainly but occasional field deployments of sensors.
- Analysis and presentation of results, and subsequent written reporting.
- Laboratory management and maintenance of equipment.
- Ensuring all health and safety protocols are adhered to.
To be successful you will:
- Have a skill level equivalent to the achievement of HND, Degree, NVQ4 or basic professional qualification in electrical or mechanical engineering or related engineering discipline.
- Have strong practical experience of developing mature systems or products.
- Be flexible and open-minded, creative with innovative ideas, have a “can do” attitude.
Informal enquires are welcome, please contact Prof. Xize Niu via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is available as soon as possible.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Annabelle Trimm (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email email@example.com Please quote reference 1360521DA on all correspondence.