Postdoc Position in SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 Research
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position POSTDOC POSITION in SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 Research
Workplace: Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 2-year contract, non-academic
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: 1.7.2021
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 21.4.2021
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The Department of Biochemistry at the Faculty of Science MU deals with basic and applied research on metabolism of microorganisms, mammals, plants and the development of (bio)analytical methods. Educational activity is based on a wide range of biochemical, molecular-biological and bioanalytical areas for several programs in bachelor's, master's and doctoral studies, http://www1.sci.muni.cz/cz/UBCH/.
Masaryk University in Brno, the Czech Republic, is offering a two-year postdoctoral fellowship to a recent PhD graduate who has experience and/or is willing to engage in research on molecular diagnostics, DNA sequencing of coronavirus and post mortem investigations of patients with COVID-19. The successful candidate will undertake research in the laboratories of Professor Omar Sery in the Faculty of Science and candidate will collaborate with other research laboratories in the Faculty, in the Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics of the Czech Academy of Sciences and with the Department of Forensic Medicine. Current projects focus on the DNA diagnostics of SARS-CoV-2, screening of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies levels, role of coronavirus in pathophysiology of COVID-19, NGS sequencing of new mutations of SARS-CoV-2 etc. Laboratories are also focused on etiopathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease, alcoholism or schizophrenia. Facilities in Prof. Sery’s laboratories include a recently installed state-of-the-art next generation sequencing (NGS) equipment, advanced fluorescence (deconvolution) microscopy, electron microscopy and others. Professor Sery has international collaborations with scientists in France, Austria, Australia, Belgium and Italy, and maintains strong links with biotechnology industry. The studies will be done on human tissues and may employ whole genome sequencing, transcriptomics, immunofluorescent and electron microscopic methodologies as well as other techniques. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic individual with an excellent PhD or early postdoctoral publication record and must be prepared to work both independently and in collaboration with other members of the research team.
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent within the last 7 years
- be a researcher who has worked at least two whole years in the last three outside the territory of the Czech Republic in the field of scientific research either full time or not less than 0.5 full-time equivalent, or who has been a PhD student (or equivalent) abroad
- have a publishing record comprising, within the last three years, at least two refereed research papers listed in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science, Scopus or ERIH PLUS databases. Publications such as “articles”, “books”, “book chapters”, “letters” and “reviews” may be considered if they were refereed and listed in the above databases.
The selection committee may consider additional specific criteria, particularly:
- experience with DNA sequencing/RealTime PCR methods and/or fluorescence microscopy and/or western blot
- experience with research projects in neuroscience, histology, electron microscopy, microbiology or virology
- demonstrated ability to work both independently and in collaboration with members of a research team.
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. RNDr. Omar Šerý, Ph.D., email email@example.com, phone + 420 549 49 7312.
- Diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment
- Tenure track with an initial appointment for 2 years
- A professional team and pleasant working conditions
- Interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring, internationalised environment
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 21. April 2021 via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below).
The candidate shall provide following:a CV including a summary of education and research experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
- a scanned copy of the PhD diploma
- a motivation letter
- at least two reference letters from senior researchers familiar with the candidate’s work and performance
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or videoconference interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!