DEPARTMENT: EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNIT
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT
POSITION TITLE: Educational Developer
Salary is based on experience and qualification.
The scales for salary are:
Lecturer: 23,150-25,594RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE 26-Apr-21
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31-May-21
JOB ID: 1673
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Educational Development Unit (EDU) is responsible for the educational and professional development for XJTLU academic staff by running the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education programme (PGCert), which is accredited by the Higher Education Academy in UK. EDU also supports learning and teaching for the University through an array of initiatives. The unit also includes an educational technology team that support the overall educational technological development, as well as the use of technology of staff, in learning and teaching activities.
The broad mandate of the Educational Developer position is to support the implementation across XJTLU of learning and teaching. This is mainly achieved through the delivery of institutional academic development programmes; primarily, the PGCert programme, and other Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programmes. Other areas of support include providing assistance and guidance on peer review, and curriculum and assessment design, as well as collaborating with departments to develop specific learning and teaching strategies, events, or activities. As appropriate, the Educational Developer will conduct research on teaching and learning, develop pedagogical resources, and lead workshops and other events for faculty, students and staff.
Supporting the teaching and learning practices of XJTLU staff are the primary responsibility and this position is open only as a teaching and practice position, not a teaching and research position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the implementation, across the institution, of the University’s vision for Learning and Teaching.
- Delivery of modules on the PGCert programme.
- Support the development of an institutional CPD framework and ready relevant documentation for approval by the respective committees at XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, as well as accreditation by the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Provide expert and specialist advice and guidance to academic staff in developing excellence in teaching with a primary view of enhancing the student learning experience at XJTLU.
- Develop collaborative networks to identify and disseminate good practices in teaching and learning and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Recommend, lead and facilitate the effective sharing of good practices in assessments and other student evaluation.
- Act as a consultant/coach to academic staff seeking to enhance the quality of their teaching.
- Maintain and develop resources, including websites and other tools that facilitate national and international good practice in learning and teaching.
- Work closely with staff in other professional services to promote the use of appropriate technologies, facilities and methods in learning and teaching.
- Work collaboratively with departments, schools and centres, to contribute to achieving the strategic ambitions of the University in relation to academic enhancement and excellence in learning, teaching and research, and to contribute to achieving the University’s ongoing operational objectives.
- Keep up-to-date with changes and developments in related policies and procedures.
- Reflect on personal professional practice and keep abreast of current developments in learning and teaching through engagement with the wider community via subject associations, attendance and presentations at conferences, colloquiums and personal development days.
- Willing to engage in personal development and training and change the focus of the role, where appropriate, to meet the changing needs of the University.
- Engage with relevant university and departmental committees, working groups and forums to raise awareness of pedagogic principles, share examples of best practice and highlight developments in the field.
- Carry out any other duties as required, commensurate with the role position.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in post-secondary education, and 3 years’ experience in educational development.
- Excellent knowledge of current theories and practices in education, particularly with respect to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g. student-centred active learning, large classes, small groups, team-based learning, blended and online learning, flipped classrooms, transnational education etc.), and educational development.
- The ability to create and deliver programming (informal and formal stand-alone or embedded activities) for teaching development.
- Collegiality and a willingness to work with others.
- The ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multi-tasking and establishing priorities and meeting deadlines with minimal direction.
- Knowledge of and experience in Quality Assurance processes including accreditation requirements of professional bodies, and understanding of approaches to quality enhancement.
- Strong computer skills, including a high degree of facility with the use of all Microsoft applications and the use of Web 2.0 technologies for educational purposes using a VLE (Moodle preferred).
- A Masters in Education or related field, PhD in Education, EdD or related field preferred.
Membership of and engagement with a relevant professional body such as SEDA (Staff and Educational Development Association), Education Development Centre (EDC), or the Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) is preferred, though not essential.
Fellowship or Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy is preferred, though not essential.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please send your application online:
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Director of the Educational Development Unit, Charlie Reis (email@example.com). Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR at Yiting.firstname.lastname@example.org