The pre-doctoral Research Assistant will be responsible for undertaking novel research in ML and NLP, focusing on multi-lingual Q&A for low-resource languages. The research should lead to publications in top-tier international conferences and journals, new research resources such as well-annotated NLP datasets, and implementations in real-world applications.
The initial appointment will be for one year, with the possibility to extend based on performance. Selected candidates will be offered with attractive/competitive salaries and benefits.
- Research and develop new ML-based methodologies and algorithms in NLP for multi-lingual Q&A in low-resourced languages
- Design and implement data collection for NLP research for regional indigenous/vernacular languages
- Participate in knowledge exchange and knowledge transfer activities with external partners and collaborators
- A B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent, with specialization in machine learning and natural language processing, and with a PhD degree expected within a year;
- Proven ability to conduct independent research with a strong and relevant publication record;
- Prior experience in computational linguistics or NLP, and state-of-the-art ML techniques such as few-shot learning and transfer learning would be a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and oral presentation skills in English;
- Experienced in working in a team, with people of diverse skill sets and cultural background.