Postdoctoral Fellow, Mechanical Engineering
DEPARTMENT Mechanical Engineering
ORGANIZATION NAME Temp Researcher Internal Fund
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
Applications from recent PhD holders in the area of Fluid dynamics are sought to support an interdisciplinary project funded by Khalifa University between the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering departments to develop instrumentation and sensor systems.
The appointment will be for 34 months and starts by September 2020. The project’s aim is to substitute the actual costly chemical-based facility used for oil-water de-emulsification with a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution, which consists of smart sensors and actuators, embedding state of the art algorithms of AI and machine learning. The task will involve the usage of Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) to map the two-phase flow field inside a flow conditioner. Therefore, the successful candidate is expected to have a proven track record and experience in using techniques such as PIV/LDV and the ability to work independently. Additional proven experience in CFD of turbulent multiphase flows using known commercial (Ansys) and/or non-commercial software and other experimental techniques in fluid flow measurements will be an advantage. The post holder will be located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The key strategic roles of the successful candidate would be to:
- Lead the project to successful completion under the guidance of Faculty
- Design and conduct experiments
- Read the current literature on the subject and writing technical reports and papers
- Coordinate different parts of the project with other postgraduate and undergraduate students
- Disseminate results through high-quality scientific publications
- Look after the experimental facility
- Conduct CFD experiments and analyze results
The key operational roles of the successful candidate would be to:
- Conduct a series of experiments to map the turbulent two-phase flow using PIV/LDV and high-speed photography
- Look after the experimental facilities
- Conduct CFD calculations
- Co-supervise graduate students
- PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Proven experience with PIV/LDV techniques in turbulent flows
- Experience in using CFD packages for two-phase turbulent flow simulations
- Familiarity with turbulence modeling will be an advantage
- Familiarity with ultrasonic waves interaction with liquids using CFD or FEM tools will be a great advantage for the project
HOW TO APPLY
A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)?
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow, Mechanical Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly