Professor of Artificial Intelligence, School of AI and Advanced Computing
DEPARTMENT: School of AI and Advanced Computing
POSITION TITLE: Professor
Above 50,039 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 55,358 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 16 March 2021
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31 May 2021
JOB ID: 1982
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of AI and Advanced Computing is one of the 6 – 10 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching.
The School of AI and Advanced Computing has been jointly developed by the Departments of Mathematics, and Computer Science and Software Engineering, as well as an industry partner – Sugon, to deliver industry-themed programme(s). The partnership between XJTLU and the industry partner is non-exclusive. The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Data Science and Big Data Technology.
Industry Partner Overview
The current major partner in collaboration with XJTLU to co-develop the School of AI and Advanced Computing is SUGON.
Sugon is a leading enterprise in the field of high-performance computing, server, storage, cloud computing and big data in China. It is a national high-tech enterprise formed on the foundations of the significant scientific and technological achievements made under the National 863 Programme and with the strong support of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. More information please see https://www.sugon.com/en. Any question regarding Sugon please contact Operation Director of Sugon University, Ms Xiao GUO: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The candidate will be a senior member of staff in the School and will be responsible to the Dean for the effective management and administration of the School’s activities. Through their leadership, the candidate will ensure that the School meets its ambitious targets by creating an intellectually stimulating and vibrant environment in which its students and staff can flourish.
The broad dimensions of the post are to:
- Lead and grow the research and academic profile of the AI and Advanced Computer Science subject area in collaboration with the School’s industrial partners.
- Provide leadership and vision for the future direction and development of AI research and teaching in the School.
- Shape the School’s research strategy, deliver high-quality research, and support entrepreneurial-focused teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Take on leadership, management, and external engagement activities to support the School.
- Be a strong advocate for the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) nationally and internationally.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School in the design and implementation of the School’s Teaching and Learning, and Research, Enterprise and Innovation Strategies.
- Lead the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential business/industry collaborative partnerships.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of academic staff development to ensure academic staff are equipped to deliver high quality teaching.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Lead the development of the VLE and technology enhanced teaching to maximise academic staff engagement in approaches that promote student led learning and supports student success.
- Work with relevant School, College and University staff to identify opportunities for the successful exploitation of research.
- Manage investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal or XJTLU Dean for Research, for Research and Innovation.
- Create and support a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations, an emphasis on impact and funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities.
- Identify and implement strategies to maximize grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry.
- Preferrably have a sustained a record of successful PhD supervision as the Director of Studies.
- Demonstrate evidence of good, sustained, and successful leadership of research grants and consultancy contracts, and conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals.
- Evidence of successful research partnerships with academic institutions and external organisations.
- Evidence of developing nationally and internationally recognised pedagogic research related to AI and Advanced Computing.
- Ability to contribute to the development of School and organisational strategy by being able to provide expertise and perform horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Contribute to XJTLU activities and Taicang Entrepreneur College initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting junior staff, and willingness to undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Generate and manage major research grant applications to support innovative cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of interdisciplinary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit in line with the campus and college ethos.
- Represent the Dean of School when necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other work-related tasks assigned by the Charter of School, the School Council, or the Dean of School.
The position seeks individuals who are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement, who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity, and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
The candidate should have the:
- Ability to proactively seek and respond to issues with flexible, effective and, where appropriate, innovative solutions.
- Ability to prioritise, take and implement decisions to achieve agreed objectives.
- Ability to contribute to the strategic development of the University.
- Ability to lead and develop academic staff and mentorship skills with the ability to coach colleagues.
- The ability to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders, including staff at all levels, students, and external organisations by possessing highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Candidates must be a Ph.D. holder in Artificial Intelligence/Data Science/Computer Science/Systems Engineering or related disciplines from a world renowned university, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Candidates must be willing/able to actively engage with new educational models such as Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Candidates shall become familiar with and observe Chinese and UK rules and regulations of higher education.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with good people skills.
- Candidates must have a national/international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School. Candidates are expected to have a good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- First class networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter (your covering letter must include: A research statement of up to 4 pages, describing your main achievements to date, as well as outlining the programme of research you intend to follow for the next few years. A teaching statement of up to 2 pages.)
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Angelos Stefanidis, Dean of School by email on Angelos.Stefanidis@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.