Athelstan Saw Senior Fellow in Health, Medicine and Society
- Great opportunity for a driven and passionate academic to provide leadership, build and support prospective and current international students by providing high quality teaching and learning activities in the preclinical phase of the MD program within the Medical School
- Full time and fixed term appointment for 3 years
- Salary range: Level C $125,639 - $144,523.00 p.a. plus employer contributed superannuation of 17%
UWA Medical School
Medical Education Unit
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The UWA Medical School is the largest and longest established medical school in Western Australia. It delivers a 4 year post-graduate MD course to local, national and international students. The School also has substantial and successful research programs across most disciplines in the medical sector. The Medical Education Unit provides high quality and innovative teaching support to the School’s teaching programs including assessments, and staff, student and course evaluations.
About the opportunity
This position will contribute to the School’s development and support of prospective and current international students within the MD program. You will provide teaching and learning activities in the preclinical phase of the MD program, contribute to the activities and output of the Centre for Health Humanities, and collaborate with senior members on other special projects as required. You will also be expected to undertake the accountabilities associated with the roles of Subdean, International Students and Head, International Medical Education.
This role also interface between the Medical School and cross faculty interest group of the Health Humanities, as part of the Centre for Health Humanities, a newly established research group within the University. You will be expected to undertake research related to the application of health humanities for health practice and health education in the Centre for Health Humanities.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Post-graduate degree in health and medical sciences, or substantial experience in a related field
- Experience in medical education including demonstrated excellence in medical student teaching and learning
- Experience in international student affairs including support of students at a program level
- Experience with the design and implementation of course and unit curricula, including maintaining international partnership agreements and accreditation
- Experience with medical education research, – including the development of innovative projects and funding proposals, publications and communication of outcomes
- Effective organisational, communication and negotiation skills with multiple and diverse stakeholders including School Committees, external bodies, academic staff and students
- A significant personal contribution and commitment to high quality teaching at all levels
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to submit curriculum vitae and a document clearly addressing the selection criteria to demonstrate that you meet the criteria.
Closing date: Friday, 19 March 2021
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.