Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Department of Science,
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS AND TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Curriculum development of and lecturing of modules in the programme(s) based in the department;
- Pursuing research activities such as own research, research-based publications and the supervision of post graduate students registered in the department;
- Developing, presenting and co-ordinating undergraduate and postgraduate courses for pre-service and in-service teachers and other students for contact and distance presentation;
- Mentoring students for practice teaching/work integrated learning;
- Using a learning management system to develop and present courses;
- Presenting lectures and programmes in an E-learning environment;
- Providing a significant contribution to research outputs, post graduate teaching and supervision.
- Master’s degree in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Evidence of teaching experience in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education for example being a demonstrator or tutor or lecturer;
- At least one publication in an accredited journal or equivalent units;
- Academic administrative experience.
- PhD in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- At least three years teaching experience in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education at a Higher Education Institution) and evidence of positive student evaluation or ratings;
- Conduct own research, research projects and evidence of at least five publications in accredited journals or an average of one article per year for the previous three years in such journals, or equivalent units;
- Experience of teaching practice/work integrated learning;
- Experience and involvement in supervision;
- Experience and expertise in curriculum development and policies in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Evidence of coordination responsibilities and membership of committees;
- Evidence of membership of professional associations/organisations in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Evidence of involvement in community engagement programmes;
- Registration with SACE.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of the different knowledge fields in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Knowledge of teaching methodologies in the different knowledge fields in Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Knowledge of the South African education system regarding Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education;
- Knowledge of and experience of facilitation in an E-learning environment;
- Knowledge in the field of Physical Science focusing on Chemistry Education
- Appropriate language and communication skills
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills in teaching and supervision
- Ability to work as an individual and in a team.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- NRF Rated;
- Membership of international scholarly bodies.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching Portfolio;
CLOSING DATE: 14 March 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Siza Zitha, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and Prof Ronel Callaghan, Email: email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 May 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.