Postdoc, Drosophila or Mouse Genetics
The Central European Institute of Technology – Masaryk University (CEITEC MU) is an independent university institute that was established at Masaryk University as part of a scientific centre of excellence, CEITEC – Central European Institute of Technology. CEITEC MU represents a key part of the state-of-the-art research infrastructure that is equipped with cutting-edge facilities and excellent conditions for fundamental, as well as applied research, especially in the area of life sciences. Our institute’s modern building can be found at the University Campus in Brno-Bohunice.
Our institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support leading scientists.
CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award, which is given by the European Commission.
For more information, please go to our website: CEITEC MU.
Two postdoctoral positions are available in ongoing projects with Mary O’Connell (email@example.com; and Dr Liam Keegan at CEITEC, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic) to participate in research focused on ADARs, the RNA editing/modification enzymes. We are seeking researchers with expertise in either Drosophila or mouse genetics.
Description of project
The ADAR enzymes deaminate adenosine bases in dsRNA in pre-mRNAs to inosine, which can be read as guanosine by the translational machinery, recoding individual codons in some ADAR-edited transcripts. In vertebrates, one of the most critical recoding events maintains the calcium impermeability of GluA2 subunit-containing AMPA receptors. Adenosine to inosine conversion in endogenous dsRNA also helps the cell distinguish self from foreign/viral/pathogenic dsRNA. This is essential as without it, unedited endogenous dsRNA binds to cellular dsRNA sensors and activates innate immune responses (Mannion doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2014.10.041). A postdoctoral fellow will investigate these roles of Adar1 and Adar2 further using mouse mutants and cell cultures.
In Drosophila, many important neuronal transcripts are edited by the single Adar. The Adar mutant is partially viable and suffers ataxia as well as synaptic defects and age-related neurodegeneration (doi: 10.1186/s12915-020-0747-0). The Drosophila mutant also has aberrant innate immune induction and antiviral response activation. A postdoctoral fellow will study aberrant sleep and circadian rhythms in Adar mutants and Dcr-2-mediated aberrant antiviral responses in Adar mutant S2 cells.
Prospective candidates must fulfil the following criteria:
- A PhD in genetics, neuroscience or immunology, preference will be given to candidates who have research experience with mice or Drosophila.
- Postdoctoral candidates should have published in impactful journals in the field, corresponding to the given stage of career, and demonstrated creativity and scientific quality
- All applicants should be motivated and have a collaborative mindset
- Strong English language skills – both spoken and written
What do we offer?
- full-time job
- job at a recognised and successful institution with a supportive and international working environment
- job stability at Masaryk University and an interesting work environment that pursues company-based principles
- an environment that promotes the interdisciplinarity and intersectorality of research
- in-house core facilities
- support from administrative departments (including Grant Office services)
- support with the relocation process (Welcome Office Service)
- plenty of benefits, such as 6 weeks of paid holiday, contribution to a pension scheme, meal vouchers/meal card, Menza MU (university canteen) meals, reduced prices for Scala cinema tickets, gym lessons organised at the Faculty of Sports MU that is located near CEITEC, Multisport card, reduced prices for mobile operator tariffs, special employee bank products, etc.
- start date: Date/immediately/negotiable
Applications including a CV, list of publications, a scanned copy of the PhD diploma or an official letter certifying submission of the thesis and the planned defense date, brief motivation letter, and contacts for at least two references should be sent via e-application here.
In the case of any difficulties filling out the e-application, please contact Katerina Alegria on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not receive an invitation for a job interview within 4 weeks of submitting your CV, we have given priority to other candidates in the first round of the selection process.
In justified cases, the job announcer can extend, interrupt or cancel the selection procedure.