Assistant Director, Student Life
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The MBA and MSx Programs at the Stanford Graduate School of Business seek an experienced student services professional to join Student Life as an Assistant Director. We are looking for someone who enjoys helping students, fielding questions, understanding and navigating policies, and handling detail-oriented work, all with a positive attitude and professional grace. The central mission of this role is to serve as an advisor to the leaders of our graduate student-led organizations. This is done in a close partnership with other advisors and with relevant cross-department teams throughout the business school and university.
This position has daily interaction with the MBA and MSx student populations and has a significant impact on the student experience for individual student leaders as well as for the student body as a whole. The intention of this role is to form professional relationships with students in a manner that builds trust, rapport, and respect with the goal of helping them produce events that are safe, inclusive, successful, and reflect well on the institution. As a fully engaged member of the MBA & MSx Programs, this team member is expected to participate in and support department initiatives and major annual student activities and assume Student Life special projects as needed.
The ideal candidate enjoys working directly with diverse graduate student organization leaders and appreciates the value of student activities in creating a vibrant and inclusive student community. We seek someone who is confident in explaining and upholding policy, dedicated to improving current practices, and experienced in event planning. Competitive candidates will have a student-centered orientation, possess outstanding communication skills, be exceptionally well organized, bring a problem-solving approach to supporting students, and have a good sense of humor and a sharp mind. Candidates with experience in higher education doing direct student services are preferred, especially those with experience with accessibility resources, experience supporting international students, experience in DEI programming, membership in underrepresented groups. Note that student needs evolve, especially during a pandemic and, therefore, so does the work of Student Life. Candidates comfortable working across the other disciplines of student affairs including academic counseling, degree progress, and student well-being are appreciated.
Note: Applications should include a professional resume and cover letter tailored to this position. Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this position description.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Administer an area or program in student services, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility. Review decisions recommended by other staff.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve program issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Provide guidance and counsel, oversee and develop a wide range of programs and services, analyze effectiveness and make recommendations for future programs.
- Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources.
- Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare manage reports and presentations.
- Develop and implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community and university liaison represent department and university at meetings and events.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to students and other departments; represent unit/department.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.
- May oversee, analyze and assist in financial processes and development of budgets.
- Serve as a key member of university wide teams and projects.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers and temporary workers.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 7502
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 87813