Faculty of Biochemistry (Instructor/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor)
THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The College of Health Sciences (CHS) aims to advance heath care in Vietnam and the world through leading education, innovative research and technology. Our mission is:
- Committed to developing world-class research and providing outstanding health care education
- To pioneer the country’s health sciences education and reform
- To attract and develop healthcare leaders to advance health sciences locally and globally.
Our strategic partner within Vingroup is Vinmec Healthcare System – the leading private, not-for-profit health care provider in Vietnam, which currently encompasses 7 hospitals and 4 outpatient clinics throughout Vietnam (with more than 1,600 beds), together with its medical research institutes and centers. Vinmec is the only healthcare provider in Vietnam offering 2 hospitals with Joint-Commission International (JCI) accreditation (in Hanoi and HoChiMinh city). The Vinmec Times City in Hanoi is our primary teaching hospital for College of Health Sciences. It received the first JCI accreditation in 2015, the re-accreditation in 2018 and is currently the only teaching hospital in Vietnam with JCI recognition.
With a vision to advance health care through research, the College of Health Sciences will also offer research opportunities in all our programs and provide a supportive research environment for our faculty and students. Taking advantage of being in the ecosystem of Vingroup with a number of technology and service-oriented companies such as Vinpearl, VinHomes, VinFast, VinSmart, etc., the College will cooperate closely with these companies in research to create breakthrough technology & healthcare products and solutions.
Currently, the College offers undergraduate degree programs in Nursing and Medicine while there are three residency programs offered i.e., in Internal Medicine, Surgery and Pediatrics. All of the health sciences programs are competency-based, developed with University of Pennsylvania’s technical support. With UPenn’s certified and validated curricula, world-class international and Vietnamese faculty members, modern pedagogical approaches, and infrastructure at the forefront of technology, we will prepare our students to become healthcare leaders, innovators and scientists with entrepreneurial mindset and as prospective agents of change in the future.
The College of Health Sciences at VinUniversity is recruiting an innovative faculty member (academic ranks: open) in the area of BIOCHEMISTRY.
We seek a faculty member who will contribute to its overall research, teaching and service mission with focus on Biochemistry. We are seeking individuals with strong interest and experience in designing, conducting and evaluating behavioral interventions at the community and individual levels, including intervention that use digital technologies and telecommunications and mobile health. Successful candidates will have strong research and methodological skills and interest and experience working in a multidisciplinary environment.
Candidate should demonstrate evidence or potential to establish and independent and collaborative research agenda as a member of Basic and Clinical Research program of the VinUniversity/ Vinmec Healthcare System Research Consortium.
- Teaching - Teach in didactic preclinical and/or course material in assigned courses for years 2 - 3. Teach in any assigned courses or act as a course director, if assigned. Responsibilities include time spent in the classroom, clinical sites, laboratory, or online courses and in immediate preparation for them; maintaining and improving competence in subjects being taught; preparing teaching materials; conferring with students on course materials; directing individual and group studies and practice; reviewing written examinations and papers; supervising or teaching clinical internships or programs. Working closely with other faculty to develop and implement innovative and interactive presentations of the curriculum, professional peer review and professional development are essential features of effective teaching.
- Advising - Student advising to include time spent meeting with students regarding academic, curricular and career matters. Participation in student mentoring in preparation for examinations including licensing board exams as well as coaching unmatched students.
- Research - Working to create and add to knowledge in a field, including the advancement of new theories and principles. Assisting in the planning and development of research programs and the allocation of resources to support such research.
- Service – Participating in courses/lectures/workshops or clinical activities to meet the curricular needs of the department to include: course structure and content, course preparation, written course materials, lecture, workshop and lab presentations, course quizzes, exams and practicals, course evaluations and course faculty evaluations.
- Participating in faculty development and meetings.
- Participation in committees and prospective student interviews as assigned by the Program Director and the Dean/Vice-Dean.
- Performing other job related duties and special projects as assigned.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Have an earned doctorate in BIOCHEMISTRY from established prestigious universities.
- Have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programs.
- Have good experience in experiential leaning methods such as TBL (Team-based Learning), PBL (Project-based Learning), ABL (Action-based Learning) and can successfully employ them in all courses.
- Have a strong record of research accomplishments or potential for future accomplishments (research track)
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or strong potential in research; Agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via http://apply.interfolio.com/83907 and send (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a teaching statement, (4) a research statement; and (5) two recommendation letters. In doing so, remember the following:
- Indicate in your cover letter which field, rank, and track you are applying for.
- Your resume should include a list of all courses you have taught with the teaching/student evaluation outcomes.
- Your teaching statement should specify teaching methods you have used in your courses and plan to use in your future courses (i.e., lecture, cases, flipped classroom, team-based learning, service-based learning, community-based learning, etc.).
- Your research statement should include the primary theme(s) of your past and current research and the theme(s) of your intended future research.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning April 2021 and will continue until the positions are filled.
The desired start date is August 2021, subject to negotiation, to allow sufficient time for your course preparation for the upcoming fall semester. If you currently reside outside Vietnam, please indicate in your cover letter whether you can relocate to Hanoi, Vietnam in time (by September as latest). If not, please specify when you can.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, insurance, etc.)
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on first day in Vietnam. For more information about necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes)
VNExpress >> VinUniversity's First Convocation Day
Forbes Vietnam >> VinUniversity's First Convocation Day
Vietnamnews >> VinUniversity inaugurates its first academic year
Vietnamnet >> VinUniversity achieves QS 5-star rating standards
Cornell Chronicle >> VinUnversity's Founding Provost - Professor Rohit Verma
Cornell Daily Sun >> Cornell-Vingroup's collaboration
Vietnam Economic Times >> Cornell-UPenn-Vingroup's collaboration
Vietnam News >> VinUniversity creates breakthrough in Higher Education quality
Philadelphia Business Journal >> Penn Medicine extends global reach to Vietnam